Crashing into Grace…

So… My morning didn’t start out so great. I turned my head when something caught my eye, and I was not looking behind me when I backed out of our garage.

CRUNCH.

I felt my stomach drop as the realization of what I just did washed over me. I had just hit my husband’s car. Joe was still inside the house,  so I sent in one of the boys to go get him.

I put the vehicle in park, and I just sat there – still shocked by what I had just done. The sound of my own thoughts echoed inside my mind…

Look what you did. How could you be so stupid, Ginger? How could you be so careless? You know better than to get distracted. You’re so irresponsible. I can’t believe you just did that. Stupid!

Blame. Name-calling. Judgement.

That’s when my Beloved walked outside, and I saw him involuntarily cringe when he saw my predicament. That’s when my heart and my tears fell.

“I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Honey. That’s why they call it an accident.”

GRACE.

“But I’m really, really sorry.”

“It’s okay, Honey. Really. It’s just a car.”

More GRACE.

Our oldest son climbed up next to me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “Are you okay, Mom? Everybody makes mistakes.”

No blaming. Just GRACE.

I ran my errand still shell-shocked, and returned home to my family. Aiden’s concerned face greeted me when I went inside. “Mom! Are you okay?” Our freckled middle child who doesn’t enjoy showing physical affection could sense what I needed just then, and he gave me a hug.

No judgement. Just GRACE.

Our littlest guy hurried up the stairs. “What’s wrong, Mommy?” He leaned his head against me and looked up as I explained what had happened. His brown eyes got even bigger, and then his face softened. “It’s okay, Mommy. Sometimes stuff like that just happens.”

No name-calling. Just GRACE.

Sometimes the best thing a mom can do for her family is to give herself grace. ~ justoneoftheboys.com

And my Beloved. His kind eyes searched my face and could tell that I was still beating myself up for my mistake. He stood there with open arms – full of the forgiveness and grace that I was denying myself… that I have become accustomed to denying myself over the course of my whole life.

It was then that I realized the only one pointing fingers of blame was me. My whole family had surrounded me with love and forgiveness. I could continue on in my shame spiral, or I could accept what everyone else was already handing to me. GRACE.

This certainly isn’t the last time that I’m going to mess up, but today I’m choosing GRACE.

What about you?

Have you found ways to give yourself a little grace when you let yourself down? Do you struggle with it like I do? I’d love to read your comments below. It means so much to me that you let me go on this journey of life with you! Thank you so much for being part of our Just One of the Boys family!

*Hugs*

~ Ginger

• Tammy says:

Sweet, sweet story!!!!

• Lori says:

This was just the reminder I needed today!! Thanx so much for posting this!!! 🙂

• Jodi says:

Just lovely. Seriously! Oftentimes we are our own harshest critic. I’m sharing this right now so others can hopefully give themselves that same grace!

• Linda Gallagher says:

Ginger, my therapist gave me some advice that I really took to heart in those kinds of situations. I used to verbally beat myself up if I would mess up. She asked me if I would say those things to a friend who had made a mistake. Of course I wouldn’t! Then she said I should treat myself the way I would treat a friend…with love and forgiveness. I try to remember that every single day.

• sonja says:

I have been struggling with this a lot lately. It was the message in mass last week and I cried the entire way through. My work shows it to me everyday and I often don’t feel like I deserve it. I am working hard on this. I need it. I am grateful for your words everyday. As a divorced mom with four kids trying to make it everyday, I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

• Lisa says:

That is an incredible lesson learned and shared. We talk about the Grace of God all the time, but we beat ourselves up so much, internally, we never think He is saying, “You made a mistake. It’s all right. Are you okay?”

• Marie M says:

I’m on day 3 of being sick (like fever of 101 and 102 sick). My house is a disaster and my kids have been eating leftover pizza for 2 days. But guess who cares? No one but me. Everyone is ok with me resting, except me. It happens And I do deserve grace. Thanks for this reminder. We are definitely hardest on ourselves. 🙂

• Krista says:

Oh luv, I’m so sorry. XO What a gutting thing to happen. I’m so, so, so glad your family lavished you with such love and kindness. I needed these words so much this morning. Thank you. XO

• Wendy says:

It sounds like you are surrounded by a house full of sweet “boys” — soak in that grace and love! I really enjoyed this, thank you!

• I needed to read this today. My heart and tears fell for you reading this. Thank you for a sweet reminder.

• Ruth says:

Ginger, if your boys’ hearts automatically came up with those responses, than all I can think of is what a great mom you are!