How are y’all doing? How are you taking a little time for yourself this week? I can’t tell you how grateful to be on this journey with you!
I have been trying to keep myself busy and active while my Beloved is away. The health part of my deployment projects includes clean eating with room for the occasional treat, getting more sleep, drinking plenty of fluids, and exercise!
A few months ago, I found workout videos by celebrity trainer Anna Kaiser on YouTube. I tried them occasionally for a while, but over the last couple of weeks I’ve been doing them nearly every day! Her three YouTube videos concentrate on abs, arms, and booty – but I was wanting to try the dance cardio workouts that she’s known for! Her website AKTinMotion.com has videos available to purchase and stream right in your own home. I bought her dance cardio video, and have jumped out of bed every morning ready to sweat. Best $8 I’ve ever spent.
I didn’t realize that I look so intense when I exercise! Here I am watching her video on my laptop…
Her videos are only 10 minutes long, so I try to squeeze in 2-4 each morning. Even the morning that I only had time to do one video, it felt awesome to have kicked myself into gear and elevate my heart rate for the day.
I’m starting to notice small changes all around my body since I began these workouts. My waist and muffin top have deflated 3/4″, my upper thighs have shrunk a whole inch, my shoulders are looking much more defined, and my arms have less…jiggle! Can I tell you a secret? I flexed in front of the mirror for the first time in my life this week! It’s an awesome thing to actually SEE your body get healthier and stronger!
I’m also going on daily runs with our boys. It’s fun to be able to laugh, chat, and race with my little men once again after such a long recovery time for my hip!
How about you? What exercise routines do you enjoy? If you’re looking for a quick way to sneak in a workout into your busy day, I can’t recommend AKT in Motion enough! (I promise that this isn’t a commercial – just a very excited girl!)
Last Week’s Goals ~
Keep myself hydrated with water, sea salt water, and coconut water. That reminds me… I need to go fill my water bottle again! Are you drinking enough water as the temperatures rise?
Continue using coconut oil as my daily facial moisturizer. Still love how soft my face is feeling! Have y’all tried it?
I’m almost out of my old bottle, so try to find a new, more natural facial moisturizer. I asked on Facebook if y’all had any suggestions for me, and I received several awesome ideas to try! Thank you so much! I went out and bought the castor oil needed for oil cleansing, and I found a small bar of goat’s milk soap – so I’ll try one of those first. Hopefully one will be exactly what this gal with dry-ish skin needs!
- Continue crossing things off the deployment project list. Pout. The entire week went by and I only crossed a single thing off my list. It took all of my energy to get through our normal week – so maybe things will slow down enough for me to tackle the ones on my list for this week. We did mail my Beloved a deployment package – complete with homemade muffins, his favorite shaving lotion, clothes he didn’t have room to pack, and other snacks that will hopefully brighten his day.
Exercise at least 4 times this week.
No sugar except on weekends. There were times when I wanted to cave, but I stayed strong! I think that I’m feeling more energy throughout the day, and the sugar cravings were lessening. I added a little sugar to my Earl Grey over the weekend, and I enjoyed frozen yogurt with the boys and my dad for a Father’s Day treat, but now I’m ready to get back to keeping my eating clean.
- Be up by 0600 on weekdays to enjoy quiet time before the day gets busy. There was one morning where I woke up at 0630, but otherwise I was up and at ’em by my goal. It helps to have a fun workout to greet you when your feet hit the floor!
Curl up in bed or on the Story Chair with a good book by 2200 most nights. This has gone pretty well. Maybe it’s from working out so much, but I have been so sleepy at night that I don’t even put up a fight with going to bed earlier! I don’t sleep well when Joe is deployed – I often wake up stressed, worried, or checking my phone. Even though I’m not sleeping well, at least I’m falling asleep without trouble.
Finally put photos in the picture frames that have been sitting empty for waaaaaaay too long. I found the perfect photos for these frames that I spotted at Marshall’s many moons ago. I’m embarrassed to think how long these frames sat empty on a shelf . Now they are filled with two of my favorite memories – our first family trip to Texas, and when my oldest son walked me down the aisle the day that I married Joe – almost four years ago. *happy sigh*
- Spend more time writing. Write. Write. Write. I can tell that my heart needs it. I did a little writing, but not enough. I need to dig deeper – and I’m scared. I’ve always loved writing, but it’s a stretching and growing process – and it hurts sometimes. But there is an important thing that I need to remember – writing is also healing. It feels so good to pour my heart out onto the page – and I need to just put my bum in the chair and do what I love to do.
This Week’s Goals ~
- Stay hydrated with enough water, sea salt water, and coconut water.
- Relax and watch a movie or TV show just for me. A mom of 3 boys can only take so much American Ninja Warrior or Mythbusters before needing a little break.
- Exercise at least 4 times this week.
- I would say no sugar except on weekends, but I’ve heard about some delicious mint brownies that a friend will be bringing to my house on Wednesday evening when we host our small group. I think I’ll make an exception for dessert on Wednesday! 😉
- Be up by 0600 on weekday mornings to exercise and enjoy quiet time before the day gets crazy, but see if my body needs to sleep in a little on the weekend.
- Write. Write. Write.
- Finish up my last school projects/paperwork – deployment project
- Work on removing the rest of the wallpaper from our master bathroom – another deployment project!
- Enjoy girl-time with friends next weekend. Shakespeare in the Park, anyone?
- Be curled up in bed or on the Story Chair by 2200 most nights this week.
How are you taking a little time for yourself? I would love to keep in touch this week as we work together to take better care of ourselves! You can find me on Facebook and Instagram, and don’t forget to check out our Pinterest group board ~ Taking Care of Ourselves!
Let’s do this, my friends! I’m going to try really hard to take better care of myself while my Beloved is deployed, but I could use your help. We can take just a little time to care for ourselves, and we’ll be stronger wives, moms, and friends because of it! You’re not alone… We can do this together!