Twitterature ~ May/June 2014 Edition

Twitterature ~ May:June 2014 Edition

Say it ain’t so! How did I miss a whole month? We were so busy traveling, finishing our school year, and preparing for my Beloved’s deployment that I was not able to share with you my Twitterature round-up last month, so today’s post will be a combination of the last couple of months. I hope you don’t mind too much! πŸ™‚

As always, I’m linking up with the incredible Modern Mrs. Darcy and her Twitterature series. Be sure to check out all of the other blogs for more quickie book reviews!

Read Recently ~

Dad is Fat, by Jim Gaffigan – I listened to Gaffigan reading this audio book. #laughoutloudfunny #don’ttakeadrinkwhilelistening #don’task #thetruthaboutparenting #perfectfathersdaygift

Jim gaffigan

Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery – *happy sigh* Rereading this book was just like revisiting a childhood friend. Anne Shirley is even better than I remember! #kindredspirits #bosomfriend #carrots #marillaisthebest

The Duke’s Obsession, by Frances Fowlkes – I am thrilled for my friend Fran who is celebrating the release of her first book! #greatsummerreading #soproudofmyfriend #historicalromance #isithotinhere?

Fran - The Duke's Obsession

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, by J.K. Rowling – It was fun to see the book through my sons’ eyes as they entered the world of Hogwarts. It gave us lots to talk about as a family! #magical #iwould listentothismanreadthephonebook #loveaccents #lovesayinghufflepuff

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith – #harrypotterwho? #pageturner #can’twaitforthesequel

Reading Like a Writer, by Francine ProseΒ – Filled with wonderful examples of classic literature to help us look at words in a whole new way! #readwithneweyes #goodstuff

The Invention of Wings, by Sue Monk KiddΒ – Moving, stirring, sweet, raw, and based on real women. Wow…just wow. This was my first time to use Audible’s audiobooks, and I can’t wait to listen to a new book next month! #myfirstSueMonkKiddbook #won’tbemylast

The Invention of Wings

Currently Reading ~

11/22/63, by Stephen King – I have only ever read his fabulous book On Writing, so this is my very first King novel. Horror and gore is not my thing, and I’ve heard that this book is different from his others, so I thought that I’d give it a whirl. It sucked me in from the very beginning, and I’m excited to keep reading! #scardycat #hopeIdon’tgetnightmares

What about you? What have you been reading lately? I’m always on the lookout for new (or new to me) titles! Are you on GoodReads? If so, I’d love to be your book buddy! You can find me right here!

Here’s to another month of fabulous reading!

*Hugs*

• Naomi Liz says:

Hey Ginger! I’ve been listening to some audio books the last few months, and I think I might have to check out The Invention of Wings next (since I’m seeing it everywhere!). I also have Reading Like A Writer on my list, so I’m glad to hear it was a good one!
    Not sure about Stephen King, though…I grew up in Maine (not far from where he lives) and yet I’ve never read any of his work! Ha, I just do *not* do the scary genre. Good for you for branching out. πŸ™‚

• I LOVE Anne Shirley. She is such a real and relatable and yet inspirational. I have dreams of having a little girl someday and naming her Lucy Anne.

• Rachel says:

I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’ve never read Anne of Green Gables! (Although I grew up with, and love, the movies.) I really ought to, I suppose. And Reading Like a Writer sounds really interesting!

• Krista says:

We must be on the same wave length for I’m reading several of the same books and authors. πŸ™‚ Love Sue Monk Kidd, and Anne, and Harry Potter, and the Cuckoo book. πŸ™‚

• Jillian Kay says:

I loved 11/22/63. Don’t skip the afterward when he talks about how he researched the book.

• “Dad is Fat” has been on my list for a while since I heard a interview in which Gaffigan shared that the title was the first sentence his son wrote! I started reading 11/22/63 and just stopped… not sure why, I may have to give it another go!

• I have 11/22/63 on my nightstand, well until my husband stole it πŸ™‚
    I also loved The Invention of Wings: it was such a great book.
    There’s something so comforting about Anne, isn’t there?

• I read the Cuckoo’s Calling last month – it was good but not spectacular. But also I’ve never read any of her other books, so I have nothing to compare it to. Which is good I guess?

• I haven’t listened to anything lately. I was listening to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but just got busy and then would forget to grab my phone while I cleaned bathrooms. I am half way through Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I would like to read Cuckoo’s Calling and I really want to read through Stephen King’s books but am a big scaredy cat too. 11/22/63 is the first one I want to read as well. I just can’t read fast enough!

• Tks for sharing your latest reads! The Gaffigan book sounds funny and prolly even better in the audio version! Also the Invention of Wings. I might have seen that at the library. I’m so bad with keeping up my Goodreads account but I recently read Divorce Papers and I like the style (after a few pages) and the legal-ese. Though not sure it’d be your cup of tea since you’ve had a painful divorce in the past. Maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up. Sorry!

Dad is Fat really is worth listening to, but I’m sure that it’s pretty funny as a book as well. πŸ™‚ Don’t be sorry – I love all kinds of stories! Thank you for telling me about Divorce Papers – I’ll check it out! πŸ™‚

• Cassie says:

Isn’t The Invention of Wings wonderful! I loved it so much. The Secret Lives of Bees (another of Kidd’s book is fab! I didn’t realize that I liked Cuckoo until the very end and now I am impatiently waiting for the second. I have only read the first Anne book but I LOVED the Emily of New Moon series by the same author. Very Anne-like.

Yes! Such a wonderful book! I haven’t read The Secret Life of Bees yet, but I think I’ll be adding it to my to-read list very soon! πŸ™‚ Ooooh – Emily of New Moon is fabulous! I haven’t read it in years, but I should do that! Thank you so much for reminding me how much I love that trilogy! πŸ™‚

• 11.22.63 is on my summer reading list, and your hashtags kind of scare me, because I’m also a scaredy cat when it comes to books and movies!

I really need to read Cuckoo’s Calling. (There’s going to be a sequel?)