What I’m Into ~ April 2014 Edition

Nooooo! It can’t be the end of April already! Spring is flying by too quickly for our family. We have only one more month before my Beloved will be deployed again. It’s time to find out if the cars will need an oil change while he’s gone, make plans to keep the kids and myself busy this summer, start planning cookie care packages, and so much more.

Even though the end of a month takes us closer to deployment, I am excited to once more be linking up with the lovely Leigh Kramer for her What I’m Into link party!

My birthday was this month, and I had a wonderful time celebrating with my family! I made my very first Pavlova as my birthday dessert, and even though it cracked in the oven, it was scrumptious!

Week 12 f

Week 12 g

After we finished eating our meal of carnitas tacos and Pavlova, my family gave me the gift of a lifetime! I opened up my card, and it revealed my birthday surprise. *happy Snoopy dance!*

I can’t wait to share it with you soon, but for now I’ll show you the room that will be getting a big makeover because of it!

Dining Room

My Beloved took me to my very first Air Force Ball this month! I had a wonderful time dressing up with him, experiencing all of the history and tradition, and meeting his co-workers.

IMG_0005

Fashion ~

Are y’all on Instagram? I have loved joining up with the #stylemeapril challenge, where they give you outfit challenges for each day of the month. It’s so much fun – and you can play along, too! It sure helps me to get out of my pajama fashion rut! I just saw the #stylememay challenges for this coming month, and I’m excited to jump in again! I hope that you’ll join in the fun with me!

BTW…All of my clothes are easy, kid-proof, and bargains!

What I Wore 6

What I'm Wearing 3

What I'm Wearing1

What I'm Wearing2

World Market Tunic

What I Wore 1

What I Wore 2

“Don’t you step on my blue suede shoes.

You can do anything, but lay offa my blue suede shoes!”

What I Wore 4

What I read in April ~

To Be a Friend is Fatal, by Kirk W. Johnson – What I read of it was very good, but we are getting too close to deployment for me to go to bed reading about body armor and mortar shells. I kept it on my GoodReads list so I can come back to it once my Beloved is back home again.

What Matters in Jane Austen, by John Mullen – This book is for the hard-core Austenite! Chapters on why age and weather matter in Jane Austen’s books, it goes deep into trivia that had never before crossed my mind. A little on the dry side, I mostly browsed my way through it, but it was still a fun read.

Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell – Wow. Just wow. My first Rainbow Rowell book, her characters left a deep impression on my heart.

Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery – As I mentioned last month, I want to focus on re-reading favorite books throughout the year. For April, I chose to revisit everyone’s favorite “Anne-Girl.” It was like reconnecting with an old friend. Reading it as a grown up made me notice things differently about the story than I ever had before.

Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet

~ The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer – I listened to this sweet story on my road trip a couple of weeks ago. Listening to this story was such a delight, and I would highly recommend it – reading or listening!

~ Dad is Fat, by Jim Gaffigan – This was another audio book that I listened to on a road trip this past weekend. Hilarious and so much fun to listen to the author read his own work. I laughed out loud so many times as he perfectly described marriage, parenthood, and family.

Reading in May ~

~ The Duke’s Obsession, by Frances Fowlkes – This book is written by my friend! I am so proud of her, and of the hard work that she has put into her writing over the years. Rejoicing with her in May as her first book is released!

~ Foreskin’s Lament, by Shalom Auslander – A recommendation from my friend Jeri, this is a memoir that I can’t wait read!

~ The Professor and the Madman, by Simon Winchester – I found this book at a local thrift store, but it’s been on my radar for quite a while.

~ I haven’t yet chosen a classic to re-read this month. I still want to focus on re-reading an old favorite each month, but I think that I’ll start with the top three that I listed, and decide on a title to revisit very soon. Do you have any suggestions for me? What are your favorite books to re-read?

Screen time ~

~ Veronica Mars. I’m *thiiiiiiiiss close* to finishing the third season, and I’m excited to finally watch the movie!

~ Scandal. Holy guacamole! Did you catch the season finale?!

~ The Blacklist. Big Bang Theory. Parks & Rec. These make for wonderful long-distance dates with my Beloved!

Want to be Facebook or Pinterest buddies? I would love to connect with you!

What have you been into this month? Have you read a fantastic book lately? Been glued to a TV show or a new movie? Have I talked you into joining me in the #styleme challenges yet? Be sure to check out all of the wonderful What I’m Into and What I Wore Wednesday links! I’m going to fix a cup of tea and read through them this week. So many good ideas!

Let’s make May a fabulous month!

*Hugs*

• Sheri Dacon says:

Okay, your outfits are so adorable. My favorite? That chevron maxi skirt with the denim shirt. I’m going to check out the instagram challenge right now!

Thank you so much, Sheri! I hope you join the challenge – it’s really so much fun! I don’t do it every day, but it’s always nice to think outside the box a little bit 🙂

• Christina says:

Great job on your first pavlova, it looks fantastic (and no worries about the cracks, the whipped cream covers them right up and no one can tell–it’s a very forgiving dessert).

Thank you so much, Christina! It really was much easier to make than I had feared – and it was so good! My family didn’t care at all about the cracks, but maybe I’ll keep trying to make it until I master it! 😉

• barb says:

Ginger you MUST STOP showing a photo of that gorgeous Pavlova. Is it possible to lust over a desert 😉

• That pavlova looks so pretty and so delicious! Happy belated birthday! You have read some great books this month, some of my favorites are on your list. Also, Veronica Mars. We are nearly halfway through season 3 I think – can’t wait to finally see the movie!

Hiya, Jen! Thank you so much for stopping by! The Pavolova was pretty good – and much easier than I’d anticipated! You’re a Veronica Mars fan, too?! 🙂 I finally watched the movie last night – and I was pretty happy 🙂 Have a great weekend!

• Aww, happy belated birthday. Your pavlova looks scrumptious. This month, I’m trying to finish Flawless so I can jump into Chaos Walking.

Thank you so much, Lisa! 🙂 I’m getting read to play around with our nice (not iPhone) camera, and I need to re-read your photography posts! 🙂

• Ruth says:

I discovered and watched Veronica Mars a couple of months ago. Loved it! I think I appreciated Frozen even more, knowing Kristen Bell plays Anna. I’m watching The Glades right now, and reading Love & Logic, It’s Your Kid — Not a Gerbil, and the Harry Potter books with my daughter. Happy May to you and yours! I’m excited about more sunshine and warm weather.

Veronica Mars is a fantastic show! It helped me to live vicariously through my high school/college years a little. 🙂 The Love and Logic book sound awesome! We’re listening to the first Harry Potter book in the car. My oldest and I have read it, but letting my younger two listen to it is pretty fun as well! 🙂

• I’ve never had a pavlova — what is it like? Crunchy or soft, I can’t quite tell. I have never watched a single episode of Veronica Mars, that might have to be my summer viewing while all my normal shows are in hiatus. Your outfits are so cute! I wish you lived closer so you could come give me a wardrobe intervention.

Hiya Sarah! Actually, a Pavolva is basically meringue. You put it in the oven to dry it out. The outside becomes a little crunchy, and the inside becomes kind of spongey. It’s all so delicious! Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit – voila! 🙂 Veronica Mars would make for awesome summer viewing! If we were closer, I’d love to play in your wardrobe! Maybe someday we’ll be able to meet up!

• Amy says:

This post is full of so many goodies – that black dress for your ball, the blue suede shoes (!), and that quote from Anne of Green Gables (by far my most favorite and longest-running quoted quote ever). Looks like April was full of goodness. I’m very glad I clicked over from the What I’m Into link-up!

Hiya Amy! I’m so happy that you came to visit! April was such a good month – but it went by so quickly! I just love Anne of Green Gables, too. That quote sure is encouraging! I hope that you have a fabulous month of May! 🙂 Please come back and visit!

• Thank you for you and your husband’s service to our country, I hope the time goes quickly and is uneventful! I was wondering how you like Blacklist? My husband and I started it when it first came out, but it quickly got too dark for me. It seemed like it had a great story line though, has it gotten any lighter? I would love to revisit the show if it is not quite so grisly!

Oh Laura – thank you so much for your sweet comments. Such an encouragement to me! We are still hooked on Blacklist – but it didn’t get any easier to watch. Still very grisly! The story has us coming back for more. 🙂 What are your favorite shows? I need to find some things to watch while my husband is deployed. 🙂

• Krista says:

I adore your blue suede shoes and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my favorite books. 🙂

Thank you so much! I was excited to get to wear my new blue suede shoes a couple of times – now it’s getting to warm to wear them here in KS! At least I’ll have them to enjoy in the fall! 🙂

• Ibukun says:

I just might pick up Eleanor and Park soon. I’ve heard such great things about it. Happy belated birthday, Ginger!

• Leigh Kramer says:

I’m impressed you made pavlova! I don’t know if I’ll ever attempt it. Love the dress you wore to the Air Force Ball! Sexay.

Hiya Leigh! The Pavlova was actually pretty easy to make. I’ve heard that you’re not supposed to let it crack in the oven, so I guess I’ll have to keep making it until I get it right. 😉 Still tasted great – a wonderful gluten-free dessert! I was excited to find a dress for the ball that I can wear again! I’m not a Cinderella-gown kind of girl, so this one suits me a little better. 🙂

• I love your style challenge! I might need to play along in May as it gets hot here and I enter my shorts, tshirt, flip flop rut. Happy birthday too 🙂 Can’t wait to hear what the big present was!

• Fiona Lynne says:

I’ve heard so many people recommend Eleanor & Park, that I need to get around to reading it soon! Love seeing your cute outfit instagrams pop up in my feed.

• Okay, I love your clothes! I am on a quest to discover my “style.” Heading over to Instagram to follow you. 🙂 Also… i love that art on your dining room wall. Fun stuff!

• Leelee says:

Rereading Anne of Green Gables is ALWAYS coming back home to a dear friend. That is why we love her so much.

fused quartz

What I’m Into ~ April 2014 Edition

• […] I know a family who has used the same Kitchen Aid mixer for twenty years, so when it was finally time for me to look for a new one, I knew exactly what I wanted. I have never had an issue with my little red machine. It mixes pancake batter for our family’s Saturday morning pancakes, and has whipped egg whites for a fancy Pavlova dessert. […]