Twitterature ~ April 2014 Edition

I couldn’t believe the calendar today! Is it really the middle of April already?! It’s that time again – time to dish on all things literature, and to learn what everyone has been reading this past month! I love Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Twitterature link-ups, where you can find short book reviews – Twitter-style. Grab a glass of lemonade, enjoy the spring breeze, and check out all of the wonderful links for some great book reviews!

Here are the pages that I’ve been turning since last month’s link-up

Finished So Far ~

Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World, by Gary Vaynerchuk – I’m still a social media newbie, but he sure does know his stuff! #itsascience #whoknew #brainoverload

Sun Shine Down, by Gillian Marchenko – Y’all, I am so happy that I found Gillian Marchenko through Addie Zierman’s blog. Gillian’s exquisite memoir takes you on her journey of giving birth in Ukraine and finding out that her little Polly had Down Syndrome. I read her story in one day. #pickofthemonth #newfavorite

Sun Shine Down

Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell – So much buzz surrounding this book! Raw, heartbreaking, vulnerable – I felt as if I were in the same room with these characters as their friendship grew. Some of the plot twists were difficult to read – I wanted so much to protect them. #haveKleenexhandy #Rainbowisthecoolestnameever #hopetheydontmessupthemovie

Books

What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved, by John Mullan – This book is for the ΓΌber Jane Austen fan. Full of info that this bookworm had never even thought to consider. Ever wonder about the weather in her books? Why she doesn’t describe her characters’ looks? Why Mr. Collins is always so much older in the movies than he is in the book? #EncyclopediaforhardcoreAustenites #nevercaredabouttheweather #endedupflippingthroughmostofthebook #mademewanttoreadAustenagain

To Be a Friend is Fatal, by Mark A. Johnson – What I read of this book was really good, but it is just too close to our next deployment for me to keep reading. Body armor, mortar shells… Not what I should be reading right now, but I’ll pick it up again once my Beloved comes back after his deployment. #militarywifeproblems #wishIwasstronger

IMG_0005

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer – I listened to this delightful book on my long road trip last weekend. Written entirely in letters, it was a refreshing style of storytelling woven seamlessly with historical details! #finallygaveitawhirl #sogladIdid #audiobookwasfantastic

Currently Reading ~

Dad is Fat, by Jim Gaffigan – I started listening to this book on the last leg of my road trip. Father to five kids, hysterical and laugh out loud funny, Gaffigan’s parenting humor was wonderful company in the car! I’m less than half-way through the CDs, but I’m hoping that the rest of the book is just as funny! #ifyouneedalaugh

Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery – Oh, my favorite Anne-Girl. Reading this book has taken me back to when I first discovered Anne Shirley. I was probably in 2nd or 3rd grade. I’m falling in love all over again with Anne, her friends, and her Island. #stayingupwaytoolate #ifyoullonlycallmeCordelia #Carrots

That’s what I’ve been up to so far this month! What have you been reading? I would love to hear all about it! I’m always looking for new titles to add to my GoodReads list! I enjoy meeting new kindred (book-loving) spirits, and I would love to stay in touch! You can find me here, on Facebook, and Instagram. You can also find the new Book Lovers Unite group board that I started on Pinterest!

Wishing you a wonderful book-filled April,

• Jeannie says:

Ginger, from this and previous Twitteratures you’ve done, I see that we seem to like a lot of the same kinds of books. (Kindred spirits, I suppose Anne Shirley would say!) I loved the Guernsey Literary and PPP Society as well. And wasn’t that Jane Austen book interesting? So many things about Austen’s novels that I’d never have noticed on my own. I’ve been wanting to read Gillian Marchenko’s book too; I read her blog fairly frequently and I love her honest writing.

• Anna Wastell says:

Oh, Eleanor & Park is a favorite. I live in Omaha and I love feeling at home with the characters. I’m worried/hopeful for the movie, too!

That’s right! You do live in Omaha! I was just there for the Air Force Ball last weekend πŸ™‚ I can see why you feel at home with E & P characters!

• So many books that I’ve read and loved or highly anticipate reading. Dad is Fat and Eleanor and Park are both books I’m anxious to read and I loved Anne of Green Gables and Guernsey!

• @hollandsays says:

You’re the third person in a matter of weeks to mention Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World, by Gary Vaynerchuk so I’m moving that to the top of my reading pile. I was also lucky enough to meet the amazing Rainbow Rowell last year at BEA which I blogged about here: #hugefan http://lifesimplifiedforyou.com/2013/06/01/bea-highlights/

Jab, Jab, Jab definitely gave me a new way at looking at social media as a blogger. It’s a science! You met Rainbow Rowell? How cool! I’m off to read your link! πŸ™‚

• Definitely need to read Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook now that I know the info won’t be over my head! And I LOVED Guernsey Literary Society too!!

Hi Steph! Oh, his book still went over my head in some places, but I sure learned a lot! I hope you enjoy it! I can’t believe that I didn’t read Guernsey sooner – such a lovely book! Thank you so much for stopping by πŸ™‚

• Isn’t Guernsey Literary Society such a fun read? Don’t apologize for feeling too vulnerable to read a book — I get that way about anything where children are hurt or suffering when I’ve recently had a baby. I tried to read the second book in the Call the Midwife series a few months ago but it was all about children being taken away from their mothers and treated terribly in the “workhouse,” and I just couldn’t handle it.

Thank you so much for making me feel better about not being able to finish books. My youngest is almost 6, and I still had trouble reading the Call the Midwife books! I loved them, but WOW the struggles that some of those women and children were heartbreaking!

• Stacey Lynn says:

Loved Eleanor and Park (wasn’t crazy about the ending, though!) I just read Anne of Green Gables, too. Ready to start on the next books in that series πŸ™‚

Yes! I was really hoping that the ending would be different – but it was still so heartbreakingly good! πŸ™‚ I am loving re-reading the Anne books. Glad to know I’m in good company! πŸ™‚

• barb says:

Just started Eleanor and Park. Just finished Sun Burn Country. I have pending Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook.

• Eleanor and Park is on my list, and now you have me intrigued by Sun Shine Down. Great list. LOVED Guernsey.

When does your husband get back?

He’ll deploy in June and be back in the fall – it’s not a super long deployment this time, but it’s still deployment. Gotta get myself and the kids ready for that. Planning on swimming lessons and lots of fun stuff to keep our minds busy this summer. πŸ™‚

• Oh, you are not alone-there are all sorts of books and movies that I don’t allow myself to touch anytime deployments are imminent! I tried Eleanor and Park on audiobook a few months back but it was so raw that I just couldn’t get through it. I think it was the right book at the wrong time though, so I’ll give it another go someday. And that Austen book looks fascinating…but I can’t say I ever thought about the weather in her books πŸ™‚

Moira, I am so glad that I’m not alone in avoiding certain books and movies when getting ready for deployment! Last time I made the mistake of seeing Act of Valor right before he left. Not doing that this time! E & P would have been difficult for me to listen to – it was pretty raw. I didn’t read the whole Austen book cover-to-cover, but it was great to flip through and read tidbits about the background of her books. πŸ™‚

• Alison says:

Ahhh…rereading Anne of Green Gables is such a gift! I read them all again two years ago, and it was glorious. The Austen book is very intriguing to me! So glad to connect!

Hiya Alison! I’m so happy that you stopped by! I am loving reconnecting with Anne of Green Gables. I am excited to read the others again, too! πŸ™‚

• Krista says:

I’ve been rereading my Anne books too – pure pleasure – and I adored The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. πŸ™‚

• I really want to read Eleanor and Park and Guernsey. Sun Shine Down spunds like a good choice to read for my Around the World in 80 books reading challenge if it takes place in the Ukraine. Hope you link up with our #SmallVictoriesSunday #linky that opens tonight at 8pm.