Happy Monday to you! How was last week? Were you able to take a little time for yourself? Did you paint your nails? Have coffee with a friend? Read a good book this week? I would love to hear all about it!
A few of my goals last week revolved around taking better care of my back., but my plans changed when I felt my lower back snap as I sneezed on Friday morning. It left me gripping the kitchen counter, unable to move, and feeling like I was going through back labor all over again.
I called my dad to help with the boys, and I made my way to the couch. Aside from a trip to my doctor’s office, that’s where I stayed until my Beloved came home that night.
All thoughts of exercise and keeping good posture flew out the window. I’ve been flat on my back all weekend, and I’m finally starting to feel better. I couldn’t have made it over the last few days without my dad helping me with the boys and Joe taking care of me this weekend.
As much as any tired mom wishes that she could stay in bed all weekend, it really isn’t a dream come true. I’ve been feeling down on myself for being in this position again. I’ve been trying so hard to take better care of myself – and I end up feeling pretty helpless. I’m not sure why my back is giving me such grief, but I’m determined to find out.
Until then, I need to slow down, be careful with my back, and give myself a little grace. I need to treat myself the way that I would care for my Beloved or my boys if they were in my position. I wouldn’t be upset with them for being hurt, so I shouldn’t beat myself up either. I’m not Supermom, so I need to stop trying to act like it.
Sometimes plans change. This is my week to mother myself so that I can better care for those around me – that I love so much.
Last week’s goals ~
- Drink at least 64 oz. of water each day. I missed drinking enough water two days this week, but I am encouraged by how much more water I am drinking than I did before I started making this a priority!
Spend some time with a friend. I had a wonderful visit with my friend Jan. We chatted while our kiddos played early in the week.
Eat a good breakfast every morning. I make this sweet potato/sausage skillet almost every week. It’s my favorite meal! I only had three eggs, and it’s supposed to be five, but it still started my day off right!
I finally have proof that I’m a grownup. I adore Brussels Sprouts! I love roasting them with bacon, dried cranberries, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. It made for another perfect breakfast.
Begin oil pulling. Have y’all heard about this? I’ve been reading up on it, and I’m willing to give it a shot! I did this twice last week using coconut oil. I’ll admit, it was pretty gross, but I think that if I keep trying, I’ll get the hang of it.
Care for my nails. This week I’m trying out the wildly popular Jamberry nail wraps. Anyone want to come help this klutzy girl apply them? I’m sporting Jamberry wraps on both of my ring fingers. So far, they’ve held up to life with 3 boys. They were easier to apply than I thought they would be! Since I didn’t put them on until later in the week, I’ll keep them on and have a full review next week. A big thank you to my friend Anna for sending me these samples!
- Exercise 4 times this week, but add an emphasis of working on strengthening my back. I exercised 3 times this week. I had planned to go back to the gym on Friday, but my back spasm had other plans.
Be mindful of my posture. I tend to slouch, so this week I want to focus on carrying myself better. Feel free to pinch me if you see me slouch! I tried. Really, I did!
Treat myself to a surprise under $5. I found this cheery little mug at Marshall’s for only $2.99. I can’t help but smile when I look at it, and that’s a great way to spoil myself a little during the day!
Go bra shopping. I found a couple that will work, but I still need one more. A sweet friend sent me the links to two online stores this week that just might have what I need.
Curl up in bed or on the Story Chair with a book by 2200 each night. If you want to see what I’m currently reading, we can be buddies on GoodReads! There’s nothing better than snuggling with a Border Collie puppy and a good book at the end of the day.
This week’s goals ~
- Drink at least 64oz. of water each day.
- Take it easy on my back.
- Continue oil pulling at least 3 times this week.
- Light a scented candle and remind myself to slow down during the day.
- Fix myself a cup of camomile tea each evening before bed.
- Remember my vitamins every day.
- Give myself a mini-facial here at home – use steam to open up pores, maybe apply a face mask, etc.
- Curl up in bed or on the Story Chair with a book by 2200. (No more late night blogging in bed!)
- Care for my nails. Watch and see how the Jamberry wraps continue to hold up, keep using cuticle balm, and moisturize my hands often.
- Give myself a little grace this week while I’m trying to get back on my feet.