Psssssst…A little PSA before I forget…Be sure to come back on Wednesday to learn about an awesome giveaway that you won’t want to miss!
Top o’ the Monday to you! How was your week? Did you take a little time to care for yourself? I want to thank everyone who joined my very first link-up last week! I love our community and reading about the ways that everyone is taking a little time for themselves. It doesn’t feel so lonely knowing that we’re doing this together. It’s not too late to jump in – I promise! Even though I’m numbering each week, please feel free to join us at any time. It’s never to late to start mothering and caring for yourself – the same way that you care for those that you love. I mentioned last week that one of my goals was to feed my little piggy bank. I found her at Target a few years ago, and whenever the coin pocket of my purse gets full, I feed her. I only empty her out twice a year, and that gives me a nice little bit of savings that I use to treat myself. I have a hard time spending money on myself, but I’ve found this way works really well for me. I don’t miss my loose change, and it’s like Christmas when I get to count up how much I actually saved. It’s usually around $40! I don’t always use my Shoe Fund piggy to buy myself a new pair of kicks. Last spring, I had been ooogling an antique desk at my favorite consignment store here in town. I googled the heck out of it, trying to find out more about this style of furniture. I found out that it is a spinet desk, because the top folds up and down like a spinet piano. I would pop into the store to see if it was still there, brush my hand across the top, and drool.
I kept the gift certificate to the same store that my parents had given me for my birthday in my purse and waited.
One day, I popped into the store once again. The owner quoted me a sale price, and went home to break out my trusty piggy! Like I said, I really hate spending money on myself, but using the gift certificate and my Shoe Fund savings, we didn’t have to spend much at all!
My new desk made its way into the Story Chair corner of our bedroom, and I think that it’s my favorite place in the house.
I spend many early mornings and late evenings writing, blogging, and listening to Rachmaninov at my pretty little desk. I couldn’t be happier to have spent my loose change on a piece of quality furniture that I want to keep forever.
I don’t know what I’ll spend my Shoe Fund on this year, but I think that I’ll save it for when my Beloved is deployed and I can really use a pick-me-up. Maybe I’ll use it to find the perfect desk chair! I’ll keep y’all posted!
My goals from last week ~
Drink at least 64 oz. of water each day.
Empty the coins out of my purse and put them into my high-heeled piggy bank to treat myself later on.
Remember to take my vitamins every morning.
- I don’t know how to say this delicately…but there comes a time in every woman’s wardrobe when she needs to get new “foundational” garments. 😉 If I learned anything from watching ten years of What Not to Wear, other than “dress your age,” it would be to make sure that you’re wearing the correct size of bra. I’ve known for quite a while that I need to update that part of my wardrobe, and even though I hate this kind of shopping, it’s something that I need to do. Well, I didn’t get to this task this week. When I could have gone shopping without the boys, I was nursing another painful back spasm. I will see if I can squeeze in a quick boy-less outing this week.
- Treat myself to Starbucks. Did I mention that I hate bra shopping? I hate it so much, last time I ended up in tears, that I think I’ll get a chai latté to soften the experience. And maybe some chocolate. Since I didn’t go shopping, I didn’t treat myself this week.
Care for my nails and my hands. I’ve noticed how dry my hands are even though I use lotion a couple times each day. How do you care for your hands? Do you love a certain kind of lotion? Do you wear gloves while you clean or wash dishes? (I’m beginning to think that’s a big culprit.) What do you do? I’d love to hear about it! I found the Seche Vite top coat at Target, and I have been impressed with how much better my polish has stayed on this week! I’m still thinking about getting some gloves to wear when I clean, and my friend Frances suggested a lotion for me to try. If I can get to Sephora this week, I’ll pick it up!
Go for a walk outside. We spent a lot of time outside this week. It was a gorgeous week!
Enjoy my massage on Thursday. This was the day that I felt my lower back seize up in another painful spasm. I enjoyed having my whole back worked on – it felt like heaven! Big thank you to Marsha for the awesome recommendation!
Bake cookies for fun. I used this recipe to indulge my craving for Russian “Pryaniki” Cookies. They turned out a little flatter than I had hoped, but they were still delicious!
Curl up with a book or a movie in bed or on the Story Chair by 2200 each night. If you want to see what I’m currently reading, we can be buddies on GoodReads!
Goals for this week ~
- Drink at least 64 oz. of water each day.
- Spend some time with a friend.
- Eat a good breakfast every morning.
- Begin oil pulling. Have y’all heard about this? I’ve been reading up on it, and I’m willing to give it a shot!
- Care for my nails. This week I’m trying out the wildly popular Jamberry nail wraps. Anyone want to come help this klutzy girl apply them?
- Exercise 4 times this week, but add an emphasis of working on strengthening my back.
- Be mindful of my posture. I tend to slouch, so this week I want to focus on carrying myself better. Feel free to pinch me if you see me slouch!
- Treat myself to a surprise under $5.
- Go bra shopping.
- Curl up in bed or on the Story Chair with a book by 2200 each night. If you want to see what I’m currently reading, we can be buddies on GoodReads!
If you want to keep in touch during the week, or if you want to follow my progress, you can find me on Facebook and Instagram. I also recently started a Pinterest group board – Taking Care of Ourselves – where we can share ideas, stories, and inspiration. [inlinkz_linkup id=386118 mode=1]