Week #6 ~ A Healthier, Happier You – and an Announcement!

A Happier Healthier You - justoneoftheboys.com

Happy Monday to you! How was your week? Did you find little ways to take better care of yourself? Are you finding that you can take better care of those around you when you take a little time for yourself? I’m seeing that in my own life – for sure!

One of my goals over the last few weeks was to start taking better care of my nails. Now, please don’t get me wrong. They aren’t completely hideous. I don’t let them become daggers or gross. I never really learned how to care for my nails, and I just don’t put much thought into them. In fact, they are kind of sad and neglected on a regular basis. My nails grow so fast, and when they get to be this length, I trim them down a bit and call it a day.

Neglected Nails

I love the look of groomed nails. And I love polish on them – even if it’s a little shimmer with a clear coat. What I hate is putting in the time and work to make them pretty – only to have them chip the next day! Who has time for that?! I have begun to put my nails on my priority list. The last few weeks I have taken the time to add a little polish to my nails – and I found the holy grail. These Covergirl Outlast polishes have lasted 5-6 days on my fingers without chipping at all!

Covergirl Outlast

I’m still looking for ways that I can better care for my hands. What do you do to take care of your nails? Do you push back your cuticles? Ouch! Do you get manicures? Do you enjoy trying out new polish colors? If you have any tips for me, I would love to read them! For now, I’m going to enjoy admiring the pretty silver color in the sunshine!

Week #6 A Happier, Healthier You

Last Week’s Goals ~

• Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. Ugh. I still managed to forget to drink enough water on Saturday. I have to cheer myself up with the fact that I really am drinking so much more water than I had been before this challenge!
  • Exercise 4 times this weekI rode my usual 11 miles on a bike at the gym one day this week, and I worked out on the elliptical machine another day. Whew! That was hard work. My hip (that I had surgery on in the fall) was starting to hurt about 30 minutes into that workout, so I decided to finish out the day taking it easy on the bike. I’ll see about working up my hip endurance over the next few weeks without limping by the end. Watching Oscar fashion recap shows sure made the time fly! The other two workouts that I did were mostly Pilates here at home.

Fashion tv

• Get dressed in real clothes. It’ll be difficult to crawl out of my sweats with the bitterly cold weather we’re having, but I’m going to do itI saved my KU gear for game nights this week! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KU

I got in the green spirit of March by pairing one of my favorite jackets with an animal print top. Comfy and warm!

Green

On Friday I wore my cozy grey tunic/sweater with one of my Russian shawls. I taught the kids in Quinn’s class at our homeschool group a little about Russia that day, so this incredibly soft souvenir got me into the spirit. I can’t believe that I don’t wear it more often!

Russian Scarf

• Write a note to a friendI had been meaning to write an “I miss you” note to this friend for a while – and this was the perfect opportunity!
  • Tackle school paperwork and progress reports. This is the chore that I’ve been dreading! Oh, my stars and garters. The mountain of paperwork is gone! Yippee!
  • Pluck my eyebrows. Ouch. My eyes are watering just thinking about itI try to keep my eyebrows under control, but it’s a task that I tend to put off a little too long. It hurts and makes me sneeze! Anyway, I’m glad that I could cross this off of my list for the week!
    Tweezers
  • Take my vitamins every morning. I forgot my vitamins twice last week. When I ran out of OJ and didn’t buy more, I forgot to take them. I replenished my stock of orange juice, and I’m ready to stay on track this week! Funny enough, I don’t forget the boys’ vitamins. Or maybe I should say that they don’t let me forget them. They sure do love their gummy Avengers vitamins!
  • Use the pretty plates and glassesI used my pretty Turkish dishes a couple of times last week. A pretty plate seems to dress up even the most ordinary of meals!

Turkish Plate1

• Curl up with a book on the Story Chair or in bed by 2200. I’m pushing my bedtime up by 30 minutes – so let’s see how that goes. This is the goal that I had the most trouble with last week. I was able to be in bed a few minutes after 10pm each night, but I grew frustrated with some of the things that I had to leave unfinished in order to make it to bed on time. I loved having company two evenings this week, but the dishes greeted me the next morning. I don’t know whether or not this was a busier week than usual, but I think I’ll stick to this schedule another week to see if it gets any easier.

friendship

• File and polish my nails.

To see my pictures and progress in real time, you can follow along on Facebook and Instagram! I’d also love to connect with you on Pinterest, where I recently started a Taking Care of Ourselves group board!

This Week’s Goals ~

• Drink at least 64oz. of water each day. Have y’all seen Money Saving Mom’s 12 Months to a Healthier You challenge? This month she is focusing on drinking enough water. It’s been a huge encouragement to me!
  • Remember to take my vitamins every morning.
  • Exercise 4 times this week.
  • Care for my nails.
  • Treat myself to Starbucks.
  • Finish organizing the kitchen junk drawer.
  • Curl up in bed or the Story Chair with a book by 2200 each night.
  • Go for a walk outside.
  • Play the piano three times this week.
  • Make an appointment for a massage to see if it helps my back pain.

Coming up – an exciting announcement!

I have been saying that I would love to hear more about what you are doing to take better care of yourself. Reading your goals and hearing how you are taking a little time for you is so encouraging to me – and I really want us to encourage each other! That’s why I’ll be hosting a weekly link up party beginning with next week’s A Happier, Healthier You post! I would love it if we could share our goals, tips, and inspiration with each other. If you’d like to blog about your goals and progress this week, you can link up and share with us on Monday morning (the 17th). It would mean the world to me if you would consider joining me in this!

For my non-blogging friends, please continue to leave your comments on how you are taking better care of yourself this week! Maybe I’ll devote a section of each week’s post to your ideas so we can hear from you as well!

I can’t thank y’all enough for your support, encouragement, and how you continue to inspire me!

Let’s continue to take a little bit of time to mother ourselves this week. We can totally do it – and it’s way more fun if we do it together!

Love,

~ Ginger

• Lisa C in Dallas says:

I am answering in response to your nails portion of the blog entry. I am a paralegal and type all day and I quilt and bake at night. So I’m rough on my nails. After much trial and error, I use CDC Stinky (it’s green) as a base coat, either Essie or OPI nail polish, and Seche Vite Top Coat. The base keeps my natural nails a normal color, the polishes both last and have excellent coverage, and the top coat dries FAST. None of this waiting for an hour before you can go to bed or touch anything. If nothing else, try the top coat. It will drastically help keep your polish nice looking.

Wow, Lisa! Thank you so much! This is great such great info that I’m going to copy it down for when I go run errands. I’m looking forward to trying them – Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Brenda says:

This is a dangerous post with all the Jamberry going around. Lol. I like that their wraps come in both bold and subtle styles and in solids. And that they last up to two weeks. So if you want a finished look that that’s a long time, that’s an option.

Regardless, using a gentle cuticle pusher with a rubber end and using cuticle oil on your cuticles and around the edges of your nails keeps even your naked nails looking well cared for. No more dry, flakey stuff or hang nails.

No, never! Jamberry isn’t dangerous to me. I’ve just never tried it. 🙂 I just looked at your site – they are all pretty, but I don’t think I’m ready for a pattern. Maybe I can order a solid to give them a try. 🙂 I’ll look some more and get back with you!

• I love the colour of that green jacket! Beautiful. My nails are sadly neglected. I keep them short because if I don’t I’ll bite them. Occasionally I’ll try polish but, again, as soon as it starts to chip, I start scraping it of with my teeth. It’s so bad. So usually I just use a buffer to smooth them out and add a little shine.

• Oh, and what I’m doing to take care of myself this week: Well, I finally made it to boxing after two weeks off. It was hard, but I love it. The other thing I’m doing is a lot of thinking. I’ve kind of avoided thinking about the way I was raised (in what I have now finally admitted was a cult). So now I’m facing it. It is so hard to sort out what is real and what is some skewed teaching.

Hi Jo! Thank you so much for stopping by today! I don’t bite my nails, but chipped polish really bugs me, too! I’m going to try out a few of these ideas, and I’ll be sure to update what I find. I need to be able to care for nails in not a lot of time. 🙂

I am so happy that you’re taking some time for yourself. Boxing sounds like so much fun! I’ve always wanted to try it – so maybe I’ll have to give it a go pretty soon. Sounds like a great way to work off stress! What you mentioned about taking some time to think really struck me. Did you happen to grow up in ATI? It’s been in the social media news lately – my husband and I grew up in it. It took me years to be able to even think the word “cult” silently, and even longer before I could type it out or utter the word. It’s such a painful thing to realize the way that you grew up was damaging and that your whole world is crumbling. *big hugs to you*

• Yes, it was ATI. How did you know 😉 It seems that it’s not that hard to recognise someone who went through the same thing. In addition to thinking, I’ve been talking to some very close friends, and my pastor’s wife. For the first time in my life I’m open to sorting through these deep, damaged issues instead of playing ostrich. I’ll get it sorted sorted out eventually.

Boxing is so much fun! The place I go to (30 Minute Hit) is a boxing and kickboxing circuit that takes only 30 minutes, and I can bring my 4-year-old without having to pay extra for childcare. It’s awesome. I usually go 3 times per week. (and honestly, I kind of love the fact that it is not an ATI-ladylike thing to do! I’m such a rebel.)

It was just an educated guess. 😉 Do you belong to any of the former ATI student recovery groups on FB? I have really enjoyed the community and dialogue that goes on there!

I am so very excited to have “met” you!

• Oh my poor nails… my hands are so dry this winter and my cuticles just look raggedy and terrible. I love the look of polished nails on other people, but I feel like when I do it, it just draws attention to my ugly hands. =(
    I am in for the link-up! it’s especially appropriate since self-care is one of my goals for the month.

I feel awful that I’m still catching up on comments from last week. That tummy bug sure knocked me out! I’m super interested to see if anyone has any advice for our hands this week. My nails are starting to look better, so now I need to get my hands to look and feel better to match!

• Becky says:

My nails are awful. AwFUL. And so are my hands. Ugh. It’s bad enough that I’m *cough* *choke* 55, but my hands look 10 years older than that. The hard winter we’ve had isn’t to blame either; I honestly don’t know what to do about them, so any suggestions on improving crepe-y, red hands will be welcome!

Hiya Becky! I feel awful that I’m still catching up on comments from last week. I asked for advice about dry hands in today’s post – and I’m excited to see if anyone has any recommendations for me. My poor hands feel so rough. It’s worse this year than any that I remember!

• Emilie says:

Love those plates!!! Where did you get them?

• […] of my goals from last week was to clean out and organize the junk drawers in the kitchen. I’m really embarrassed to show […]

• Tammy says:

I meant to write last week, but was so busy getting things accomplished for spring break. I wanted to comment about your eyebrows. Have you ever tried using a warm wash cloth applied over to your eyebrow before you put them? It makes a huge difference! I made my list this week!

• click this link

Week #6 ~ A Healthier, Happier You – and an Announcement!

• bestdivorce attorney Germantown

Week #6 ~ A Healthier, Happier You – and an Announcement!

visit

Week #6 ~ A Healthier, Happier You – and an Announcement!