Next post

Week #3 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

A Happier Healthier You - justoneoftheboys.com

Happy Monday! How was your week? Were you able to take a little time to care for yourself? I know that this is only week #3, but I’m starting to get a better picture of how taking care of myself actually helps me to be a better woman, wife, and mother. When I set aside my never-ending to-do list and curl up on the Story Chair, (our red chaise lounge), with a good book before bed – well, that does my heart a world of good!

A Happier Healthier You - Week #3 One of last week’s goals was to play the piano three times. That might seem like a strange goal, but it was very important to me. I grew up taking piano lessons, and I have always loved music, but playing my piano is one of my interests that is most easily pushed to the wayside. When the boys were little, it was difficult to find time to play. The baby was napping. The toddler needed my attention. Now that the boys are older, I realized that my poor piano has still been neglected. For several months I’ve been saying that I wanted to turn some attention back to one of my oldest loves – and this is the perfect time to start!

I chose a new piece of music to learn, and at first I fumbled through the unfamiliar notes, but everything started to fall into place by my second and third practices. I hope that I can ease out some of the technique and muscle memory that have floated away with time, and then maybe I can gradually get a little better. I want to grow – to learn and expand in music and so many other areas in life! I am so happy that I sat down at my piano this week. Kind of its own little therapy session – good for my heart and my head!

What talents have you been hiding in the background? Is there something that is calling to you? What can you do this week to bring out a former love – to enjoy, learn, and grow from it this week? I would love to hear about it!

Last week’s goals:

• Continue eating breakfast every morning this week. Bingo! A couple of mornings it could have been classified as brunch, but I did manage to get it in each day. This is my favorite breakfast – Cowboy Skillet. It’s gluten/dairy-free, healthy, and oh so very scrumptious!

Breakfast

• Drink 8 glasses of water each day – must get better about this! Hrmph. I forgot about drinking enough water a couple of the days…again. What do you do to remind yourself to drink enough water?
  • Schedule a time to go see my counselor. I’m in, and going next week.
  •  Meet up with a friendI met with 4 friends yesterday afternoon at Starbucks. I loved catching up with everyone!
  • Exercise 4 times this week – twice at home and twice at the gym. I exercised once at home and twice at the gym. But I also shoveled 5 inches of extra snow this week. Does that count?

snow

• Curl up in bed with a book by 2230 every night. I stayed up late to watch movies with my Beloved this past weekend. Other than that, I changed to my cozy animal print jammies and curled up with a book all of the other nights. (Check out my GoodReads list to see what I’m currently reading)

Thirteenth Tale

• Polish my fingers and toes. OPI’s Care to Danse this week. It’s a fabulous natural shade!
  • Roast marshmallows with the boys – just because. Phooey. I forgot all about this goal. I did make a strawberry/whipped cream snack for them for Valentine’s Day, but no marshmallows.
  • Take my vitamins daily. I missed this the first two days of the week. I set up a system that worked for the rest of the days – I have to take my vitamin before I can drink my daily glass of OJ. We’ll see if I can keep it up.
  • Play the piano three times this week.

Goals for this week:

• Drink 8 glasses of water each day.
  • Eat a good breakfast every morning.
  • Remember to take my vitamins daily.
  • Actually get dressed…In real clothes. It’s been so cold and snowy here lately that I’ve been living in sweatpants and KU hoodies. I feel so much better and more productive when I’m dressed and ready to face the day.
  • Play the piano three more times this week.
  • Finally get around to buying a new pillow for my neck pain.
  • Spend a little time watching something just for me – a romantic comedy, a Jane Austen movie, or maybe an episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Whatever it is, make sure it’s just a little bit of down time.
  • Roast marshmallows with the boys – just because.
  • Exercise twice at the gym this week and twice at home.
  • Curl up with a book, (or my Beloved), by 2230 each evening.

I shared photos and we talked about our progress on Facebook and Instagram this week. I’d love it if you joined us! I have been so encouraged by hearing how each of you are caring for yourself. When I hear that you have painted your nails red, or scheduled a haircut, or getting a massage – well, that truly inspires me! These goals don’t have to take long at all – even if it’s just taking your vitamins – but they really can help you be a happier, healthier you!

I can’t wait to hear more of your stories! Let’s care for ourselves this week – the way we care for those that we love.

Friends, let’s do this – together!

~ Ginger

• Charisse says:

Good morning! I just started reading your posts a week ago or so and they are great. I actually painted my fingernails and they looked so nice and I got a lot of compliments on them. It really made me feel good. Keep up the great work. Now I’m going to go get on my favorite K-state sweatshirt and start my day.

Hiya, Charisse! I am so thrilled that you stopped by. Thank you so much for your encouraging words! Yay!!! I am thrilled that you took the time to paint your nails – it sure does feel good to take just a little bit of time for yourself. I hope that you’ll join me again this week and find another way to do something to take care of yourself! K-State, you say? I’m a Jayhawk, but we can most certainly still be friends. 😉

• Ceil says:

Hi Ginger! I love your honesty, and let’s face it. Making realistic goals and making time for them is a goal in itself!

Sounds like you had a great Valentine’s day with the kids, and movies with the hubby. That’s pretty successful right there! But I am also trying to hit those marks of exercise (went to the gym today) and prayer. Both good goals.
    Have a wonderful week 🙂
    Ceil

Hiya Ceil! Those are wonderful goals to have – exercise and prayer. I am so happy that you’re joining me in taking care of yourself in those ways! Yes, I had a fantastic Valentine’s Day with my sweethearts. 🙂 I’m so very blessed! Thank you so much for stopping by and your encouraging words. They mean the world to me!

I’ve done that a few times – forgotten all about a goal. It always makes me feel silly and drives home the importance of referring back to my written lists of goals … which I am sometimes good at doing, and sometimes not.

I went to bed at 10:30 two nights last week and it felt amazing. I’m determined to repeat again this week!

Ugh. Yes, realizing that you’ve forgotten a goal keeps us humble! 🙂 Yay!!! I am thrilled that you are taking the time to go to bed earlier – don’t you feel so much better? 🙂

• […] my annual and monthly goals, using them as a compass, and sought inspiration from Ginger’s A Happier, Healthier Us series. If you have a chance, check the series out – it’s all about building self care into […]

• Jennifer says:

Shoveling snow TOTALLY counts as exercise! Shoveling 5 inches is practically 3 exercise sessions in and of itself.

Whew! I’m so glad that you think so, Jennifer! 🙂 It was hard work, so maybe I can count it anyway. 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope that you’ll join me in doing something to take care of yourself this week!

• Deanna says:

The Cowboy Skillet looks fabulous! What all did you put in it?

Hiya Deanna! It’s a fabulous recipe that I found on Pinterest. If you follow my boards, it’s in my Whole 30/Paleo board. It has one pound of sausage, then cook 2 chopped sweet potatoes in the sausage grease. Combine in an oven-proof pan or dish. You can make little wells for 5 eggs in the sausage/sw potato mix, then cook in the oven for a little bit and broil for a few seconds. Sometimes I scramble 5 eggs to put on top of the mixture instead. Top with avocado slices – and voila! Delish! I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do! Let me know what you think 🙂

• Michelle says:

Thank you for stopping over at By Quiet Waters today. Love, love, love that you are making time to play the piano! I have 2 daughters who play piano and one who plays the flute. Music in the home is glorious!

And you are a fellow Kansas girl! Well, I was before I became a Colorado Rocky Mountain girl 🙂 Married a Colorado native and relocated!

Hiya Michelle! I am thrilled that you stopped by! Taking just a little bit of time to play the piano has almost been like therapy for me! I have two sons that play the violin and one that wants to play the drums – so there’s always some kind of noise around our house. Love it! I’m so happy to meet a fellow Kansas girl! Colorado is gorgeous – I don’t blame you for relocating one bit! 😉

• Michelle says:

Oh, YES snow shoveling is exercise!

• I spent yesterday completely relaxing and pampering myself, and now I’m back to reality. And exhausted. Ugh… seems like I’ve been running on adrenaline for too long!

• These are great goals, and I loved seeing your previous goals from the week!

• […] my list of goals for last week, I decided to work on getting dressed in real clothes. I’ve been relying on comfy sweats too […]