Twitterature ~ February Edition

I’m so excited to be linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy today. It’s my very first time to join her Twitterature round-up! Twitterature is where you can share short (think 140 characters or less) reviews of the books that you’re reading. Be sure to check out all of the great reviews. I love this mid-month book-lover’s oasis!

I shared with you a couple of weeks ago what books I’m curling up with in the month of February.Β This month I joined Leigh Kramer’s February reading challenge, where I’m only reading books that have been sitting on my shelf for a while. These are books that I’ve been meaning to get around to reading, but have put them off – until now.

What Im Reading in February 2014

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality, by Donald Miller – Wowzers. How did this book fly under my radar all of these years? I loved the honest look at his early years and how he went from having a distant awareness of God to intentionally living life for Him. Can’t wait to read more by Donald Miller!

Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale, by Dianne Setterfield – I’m kicking myself for not reading this book sooner. Gothic, mysterious, ghosts, and family secrets. I couldn’t put this book down, and it made me want to re-read an old favorite – Jane Eyre – again soon!

Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, by Charles J. Shields – I am reading this book right now. Harper Lee wrote my favorite book of all time,Β To Kill a Mockingbird,Β and so I am enjoying getting to know the quiet woman who stepped out of the spotlight and never graced the world with another book.

That’s my mid-month literary news. What have you been reading this month? There’s nothing I love more than discovering more great books to add to my GoodReads list!

Have a wonderful weekend…and happy reading!

Love,

G

*This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend things that I absolutely love. Thank you for supporting Just One of the Boys!

• Jeannie says:

I really enjoyed Blue Like Jazz too — we did it in my book club a number of years ago. It was so profound and so hilarious as well!

I see in your photograph that you have Olive Kitteridge and The Glass Castle; are they among your yet-to-read books? They’re both really good. (Our book club did both of those, too!)

Hi there Jeannie! I’m so happy that you stopped by today! Yes, Olive Kitteridge and The Glass Castle are next on my reading list for the month. I’ve heard such great things that I can’t wait to dive in! So many books, so little time!

• Anna Wastell says:

That reading challenge sounds like such a good idea. I may have to try that next month.
    I grew up near Fort Riley…still a Kansas girl at heart! πŸ™‚

• Laura says:

I’ve been eying the Thirteenth Tale now for a while, so glad to hear it’s worth the read! (One of my fav books is Jane Eyre, too.) Blue Like Jazz looks really good! A few months ago, I re-read The Glass Castle — I’d forgotten how incredible it was, and it was still that way on the second read.

Hi Laura! Yes, The Thirteenth Tale was certainly worth the read – I couldn’t put it down! I loved The Glass Castle. Have you read her other book? I’m putting it on my to-read list very soon! I’m so thrilled that you stopped by for Twitterature!

• I LOVED The Thirteenth Tale – such a great book!

Hi Jen! It was a great book! Have you read anything else by the author? I’m thinking about putting her new book on my GoodReads list! πŸ™‚ I’m so happy that you stopped by for Twitterature – this was a blast! πŸ™‚

• Misty says:

I LOVE Donald Miller! He’s amazing!

I need to check out the Thirteenth Tale. I had a friend, a few years back, pretty obsessed with it. For some reason though, I thought it was quite different…

Hi Misty! I’m so excited that you stopped by for Twitterature! The Thirteenth Tale was such a great story – I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!

• MJ says:

I’ve never read the Thirteenth Tale either, and it seems like something I would love. I must remedy that soon! Also, I consider To Kill A Mockingbird one of my top 10 books (ok, probably top 3) of all time, so I feel like I NEED to read mockingbird. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi MJ! Oooh, I hope that you enjoy The Thirteenth Tale as much as I did. It was great! Mockingbird was a wonderful look into the life of Harper Lee. I didn’t love that it jumped around quite a bit in the timeline, but I could overlook that for the most part while I was learning all about her life. πŸ™‚ I’m so happy that you stopped by for Twitterature!

• I loved Donald Miller’s A Million Miles in a Thousand Years even better than Blue Like Jazz, crazy right?! I haven’t read the other 2 but now definitely want too πŸ™‚

Hi Steph! I’m going to put A Million Miles in a Thousand Years on my GoodReads list pronto. Thank so much for the recommendation! I’m so thrilled that you stopped by for Twitterature – this is so much fun!

• The Thirteenth Tale wasn’t on my radar until this year, and now it seems like people keep recommending it to me! Looking forward to reading it, sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing your reading with us. πŸ™‚

Hiya Anne! Thank you so much for stopping by. I loved jumping in with Twitterature this month! The Thirteenth Tale was wonderful – I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did! Looking forward to seeing a review soon! πŸ™‚

• I love hearing about books that people can’t put down, so I’m excited about The Thirteenth Tale! Great recommendations!

Hi Allie! Oooh, it was such a great book. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think! Thanks so much for stopping by for Twitterature! πŸ™‚

• Marilyn says:

Ooo…I really like all those books. What a good month. πŸ™‚

• I remember reading The Thirteenth Tale a few years ago, and for the first few chapters thinking “meh”…and then the story shifted and it became that book I carried everywhere with me because I couldn’t put it down! There are scenes I’m still thinking of years later! So glad you joined in this month-this is one of my favorite things to write (and read) every month πŸ™‚

Hiya Moira! Yes, after those first few introductory chapters, The Thirteenth Tale really sucked me in! Thank you so much for stopping by for Twitterature – I had a blast and I can’t wait for next month! πŸ™‚

• Breanne says:

So glad you joined in, Ginger! The Thirteenth Tale sounds perfect for a winter read, I’m always drawn to mysteries in the winter for some reason.
    And I love the picture of you reading, so cozy!

Hiya Breanne! I’m so thrilled that you stopped by for Twitterature! Yes, The Thirteenth Tale was a perfect winter book – I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did! I love curling up on my Story Chair every day – it’s the coziest place to get lost in a book. πŸ™‚

The Thirteenth Tale has been on my radar for years but not until reading this have I felt sure I’d like it. I’m so glad you joined in, Ginger. I {heart} Twitterature!

Hiya Shana! Oooh, I hope that you get to dive in to The Thirteenth Tale soon. It was a great story! I had a blast joining up with Twitterature – and I can’t wait to do it again next month!

• Becca says:

Thirteenth Tale sounds awesome, but Mockingbird sounds amazing; I absolutely love reading about the story and life behind a name and I’m sure learning more about Harper Lee is fascinating!

Hiya Becca! I’m so thrilled that you stopped by for Twitterature! The Thirteenth Tale was a great winter read, and Mockingbird was a great look at the life of Harper Lee. I didn’t like how the story jumps around in time, but learning about her made it worth it. πŸ™‚

• I like Donald Miller and I really enjoyed Blue Like Jazz. I’m intrigued by Harper Lee and her decision to never write another book. Fascinating.

Hi there, Heidi! I am so happy that you stopped by for Twitterature! Mockingbird was a great look into her life. I have always been fascinated with the story and the quiet woman behind it! πŸ™‚

• LOVED Blue Like Jazz… I’ve never read another book by Donald Miller that quite lived up to it, unfortunately. Also — don’t waste your time with the movie. =)

Thank you for letting me know about the movie! It’s been in my Netflix queue for a while now, and I’m glad to know that I shouldn’t waste my time! πŸ™‚

• […] Curl up with a book, (or my Beloved), by 2230 each evening. […]

• […] read. This was a great challenge! This was the first month that I joined Modern Mrs. Darcy’s Twitterature link up. I had a blast sharing about the books that I had read by mid-February – The Thirteenth Tale, […]

• […] Curl up with a book, (or my Beloved), by 2230 each evening. […]