Week #2 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

A Happier Healthier You - justoneoftheboys.com

Happy Monday to you! How was your week? I can’t tell you how encouraged I was to read that some of you wanted to join me in taking better care of ourselves in Week 1! I felt like I had a wonderful community right alongside me – and I couldn’t wait to come back today and find out more about your week!

Last week I set 10 goals for myself…

• Eat breakfast each morning this week. (My first attempt at a Dutch Baby pancake with berries)

IMG_5537

•  Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. (I drank enough water five days this week.)
  • Be in bed with a book by 2230 – military time (I was able to do this all but two of the nights. One night I realized that my sheets were still in the dryer at 2230, and the other was when my Beloved was home for the weekend.)
  • Schedule a haircut (me-time) with the best hairstylist in the world “A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life.” ~ Coco Chanel

IMG_5579

•  Call my favorite Tribal Woman, (the lovely lady who took the photograph above), for one last chat before she leaves on her trip to visit her family in New Zealand for 3 whole months! I don’t know how I shall endure without her. Hold me.
  • Exercise 4 times this week – twice at the gym on machines and twice at home. (I exercised twice at home, but the winter storm kept us from getting to the gym this week. Does shoveling a driveway count as a workout?)
  • Make the time to paint my nails.

A Happier, Healthier You Week 2

•  When tensions rise with kiddos, take a time-out-dance-party break.
  • Buy flowers for myself.

A Healthier, Happier You 1

•  Take our boys to see Frozen (fun, relaxing family time).  (Did anyone else cry during this movie?! Wowzers. I’m still processing the message of the movie. “Don’t let them in, don’t let them see. Be the good girl you always have to be…Let it go. Let it go.” I guess that’s another post for another time!)

IMG_5569

Not too bad for my first week, but I can see where I need to focus a bit more on exercise and drinking enough water.

This week I have set up a few more goals for taking better care of myself:

• Continue eating breakfast every morning this week.
  • Drink 8 glasses of water each day – must get better about this!
  • Schedule a time to go see my counselor.
  •  Meet up with a friend.
  • Exercise 4 times this week – twice at home and twice at the gym.
  • Curl up in bed with a book by 2230 every night. (Check out my GoodReads list to see what I’m currently reading)
  • Polish my fingers and toes.
  • Roast marshmallows with the boys – just because.
  • Take my vitamins daily.
  • Play the piano three times this week.

We talked about our progress and I shared pictures on Facebook and Instagram this week. I would love to hear from you! Did you set aside time for yourself this week? Did you make time to exercise? Buy yourself flowers? Get a haircut? Did you read a great book? I would LOVE to hear about it! Knowing that I’m not doing this alone – well, y’all were a huge inspiration to me!

Let’s take care of ourselves this week – together!

Love,

~ G

• bee says:

Ok, late to the party but I think this is an excellent idea. I’m going to sit down here in just a few and make my list. I’ve been looking at this broken nail for days now. And I got a shiny new bottle of red nail polish in my Christmas stocking that hasn’t even been opened. Think it’s time to remedy both of those situations!

Bee, you’re not late – you’re right on time! I’m so thrilled when I hear that someone else wants to join me in taking better care of ourselves! Red polish is my favorite – very ooh, la, la! I hope that you set aside a little time for yourself this week – and let me know how it goes! 🙂

• Bethany says:

This past weekend I did a three-day detox and painted my nails. I used to paint my nails twice a week but had overlooked them for a week (simply didn’t want to spend the time on them, as I was doing other things). It felt good to have them painted again (RED!)
    My goal for this month (I’m a member of a Health and Fitness Club) is to not drink coffee two days a week (as opposed to every day, sometimes two and three times a day!) Three days without it during the detox about killed me. 🙂
    I love it that you’re putting your goals online. If I had a blog, I’d do that, too.
    Keep up the good work! You’re doing great!

Hiya Bethany! I am so thrilled that you stopped by! Yay for a weekend detox and freshly painted nails! Red is my favorite color – You go, Girl! Cutting down on coffee is huge – I have had to cut back and drink more tea instead of as much coffee. I hope that it all goes well this week! I would love to hear next week how it went for you! *hugs*

• Barb says:

Thank you Ginger I just made appointment for a haircut long overdue. Then at the same location they do chair massages……count me lucky!! Now to conquer the rest of the items on my list. May take me a bit. One thing I love to do is take my iPad to the library sit in the corner, plug in my ears listen to some great music and read my ebook.

Great post Ginger!!

Yay, Barb! I am thrilled that you are joining us in taking better care of ourselves this year! A haircut and a massage chair?! Be still, my heart! I love reading in the library – I sat and read today while the boys gathered their weekly armfuls of books. 🙂 Hoping this week goes well for you – let me know how it goes!

You rocked your goals last week, girl! Way to go. Oh – I HATE it when I’m all ready to go to bed and realize the sheets are still in the dryer. UGH. I guess the consolation is how good it feels to get into a freshly laundered bed, right?!

• I love that your list is just about YOU! We sometimes forget about ourselves and this is a great reminder that we are important too. I will try to do at least one thing for myself this week after reading your post!

Yay! I’m so happy that you’re joining us! I would love to hear what thing you are doing for yourself this week. I lived for too long with not putting taking care of myself anywhere near my to-do list. I am loving crossing off these fun things that really don’t take much time, money, or effort – and feeling better all the while!

• The series is awesome! I have a massage scheduled on Monday (we have Presidents Day off — woo hoo!!!) and it’s lightened my spirits just knowing that it’s out there!

A massage?! Wowzers – that sounds amazing! I can see how that would lift your spirits even days before – just anticipating it! I hope that you thoroughly enjoy your time away!

• Way to go on your goals this week Ginger! Shoveling the driveway absolutely counts as exercise! I made sure to schedule time to catch up with good friends this week and it has been such a good thing for my sanity. Since my husband will be on the road for part of next week I’m making sure to do the same while he’s gone!

Yay, Moira! I am so happy that you are taking some time for yourself!!! Catching up with friends is a great way to take some time, relax, and feel like a new and energized woman! I’m meeting up with 4 friends tomorrow for coffee, so I’m looking forward to that along with you! I hope that you’ll keep this up and find something each week to do for yourself! 🙂

• Misty Maki says: