On those Jonah days ~

Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet

“You should’ve…”

“You could have…”

“Why didn’t you…”

The swirl of voices threatens to overtake us. Voices of well-meaning friends, voices of family, even voices from online surround us every day. On a more intimate level, the critics inside our heads attack us where we are most vulnerable.

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty good at being my own worst enemy. Sadly, I’m not so great at being my own cheering section.

Waking up late, binging on junk food, burning dinner, a child’s meltdown in Target…Life happens, and it isn’t always pretty. When I’ve had a bad day, when I’ve blown it with my kids, when I haven’t been a good friend – what I need is a healthy dose of hope. At the times where I’m feeling my lowest, I need a ray of sunshine to warm my weary heart.

“The Steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;

His mercies never come to an end;

they are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness.”

~ Lamentations 3:22-23

There are some things in life that even chocolate can’t fix. Sometimes I just need a hug, and to be reassured that everything really will be okay, even when it doesn’t feel like it.

Sometimes we need to hear that tomorrow is a fresh start, a clean slate, and the gift of a new beginning. Tomorrow…And what a beautiful gift that is!

How about you? What words do you need to hear when you’ve had a rough day?

My other posts in the Coffee for Your Heart series ~

1. Are We Only Visiting?
  2. You Are Enough ~ And You Are Loved
  3. To the Girl in the Mirror
  4. You Are Not Alone

*Photo credit –  NZ Portraits by Joanne

Joining with Holley Gerth’s wonderful series Coffee for Your Heart and Jennifer Dukes Lees’s #TellHisStory . Please be sure to check out the other encouraging stories in their linkups this week!

• Love that Anne Shirley quote:) As a mom of sons only, when there are no girl words in the house to validate your own – God does:) Your on a journey to Him – He doesn’t expect perfection from you – just love and relationship! Wishing you joy-catching moments today that outshine the challenges!

Hi there! I am so thrilled that you stopped by today! Are you a huge Anne of Green Gables fan as well? 🙂 I have 3 boys – so I’m like you. I love my guys, but encouragement from “sisters” like you means so much! You’re so right – He just wants my love and relationship! Thank you for your encouragement today! Hoping you have a fabulous day!

• Ceil says:

Hi Ginger! What a relatable post for me. Hard to believe, but chocolate doesn’t fix everything does it. (It is a wonder-food though!) I really like your image too, of waking up and feeling new. It’s a great gift.

When I’ve had a rough day, just hearing “I’m really sorry” is so healing. So simple, but that’s really comforting to me. Well, that and a coffee or a glass of red wine. And that chocolate…! But God is always there with his love and peace. And that’s the best of all.

Thank you for visiting me today! I love to meet new blog-friends, so I’ll be back to visit again. Have a wonderful Wednesday 🙂
    Ceil

Hiya Ceil! I am so happy that you stopped by today! You’re right, chocolate can do so much – but sometimes we just need something else. I loved reading what you need on those days – “I’m sorry” can heal so beautifully. I love meeting new blogging buddies, too! Linkups like these are an awesome way to connect! Hoping you have a fabulous day!

• Tammy says:

My sister and I used to laugh about how our perspective on children melting down in public changed drastically after we had kids. Before kids the thought process went something like this, Oh my word, lady, can’t you control your child?” After kids it was, “I am so sorry. I know how you feel!”

Yes! You’re so right – I thought I was such a good parent BEFORE I had kids! 😉 Now I feel for the moms that are having a difficult time in Target. Been there! 🙂

• Satin says:

Ginger I too love the Anne Shirley quote you used! Thank you for the encouragement today!! Have a blessed day! ♥

Yay! I’m so happy to “meet” another Anne Shirley fan. 🙂 Thank you so much for your sweet comment – what an encouragement to me! Have a great week!

• Tomorrow really is a beautiful gift. I’m so thankful for my mom, who can always sense when I’m getting overwhelmed by life and manages to call or text with encouraging words at just the right time.

Hiya Sarah! That sounds like a wonderful relationship with your mom – what a great connection! I love how God sets up those times of encouragement when we are in serious need!

• I think I thought this quote a while back after I had screamed at my 3yo because he was giving me a hard time around bedtime. I mean, who deserves that? No one. Especially not an innocent child. I am so thankful for tomorrow but also that my child forgives and forgets to readily and easily and quickly.

Hiya Lisa! Thank you so much for your comments – Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve had those days, too. In life, but especially in parenting, tomorrow is a wonderful thing to look forward to – and I love the fresh start that it brings to our little family! *hugs*

• Great is thy faithfulness, today, tomorrow and forever!

Yes! Sonya, thank you so much for your encouraging reminder – Great is Thy faithfulness, indeed! Hope you have a wonderful day – I am thrilled that you stopped by to visit! 🙂

• Mel says:

That verse is one of my favorites…and one I cling to each day. So incredibly thankful for His NEW mercies every day! (And as I was reading your words today, I thought…hmmm, we have a lot in common. Wouldn’t it be fun to share chocolate and a chat someday?!) 🙂 (((hugs)))

Hiya Mel! You know, I wish we were closer, too! Maybe we can get together someday and finally have that chocolate and visit in person! Hoping you have a fabulous week! *hugs back*

• Mindy says:

I am comforted by, “I am here” – by God, by family, by friends. I love Anne Shirley : )

Hiya Mindy! I am so thrilled that you stopped by today – thank you so much! I love meeting new Anne Shirley kindred spirits! 🙂 I am so touched by the words that you shared – “I am here” can help to heal so many hurts. Thank you for sharing – I hope that you’ll visit again!

• My mom always tells me, “This too shall pass.” Most of the time I just need to put things into perspective. In another year, will I be this upset. Most likely, no.

Remembering that God loves me and wants the best for me helps too.

Ah, yes – I love the phrase, “This, too, shall pass.” One of my older, godly mentor friends has a saying that reminds me of that. She says, “I’d like to say that it’s going to get better, but it probably won’t.” Her candid honesty and humor have helped me to smile during rough situations – when I’m waiting for it to pass. 🙂 You are so right – remembering God’s love and that He knows His thoughts and plans for us is such a comfort!

• bee says:

I needed to hear that Lamentations verse today. How do I know he loves me? Because the Bible tells me so!

Ginger,
    I think the words I long to hear is that I make a difference; that I am wanted and needed.

Ginger, no one – NO ONE! – is harder on me than I am on myself. There is one person in my life who loves to dish out the shame and guilt to me but even that person’s got nothing on what I can tend to do to myself. It’s a constant struggle to give myself grace, love, and compassion. But it’s a battle worth fighting, isn’t it?!

• […] month I shared a post about getting through Those Jonah Days. There are some things in life that even chocolate can’t fix, but tomorrow is such a […]

• Erinn S says:

Hugs are always the best remedy. Tomorrow is always only a day away! Glad I stumbled on this from Throwback Thursday linky!

• Tanya says:

Whenever I have a hard day and the evening comes I think to myself, “Tomorrow’s a new day, a fresh start and i can’t wait.” It gives me some hope for better days. Thank for the reminder and thanks for sharing on #throwbackthursadylink-up!

• Suzanne says:

Wait – there is something chocolate can’t fix??? 😉 What a wonderful, inspiring post. Thank you for sharing it on Throwback Thursday linkup so I could meet you! Off to follow you like crazy!!

Blessings,
    Suzanne

• I love the quote at the beginning from Anne Shirley – sure makes tomorrow easier to follow! I was never a hugger when I was young…I would even pinch my mother as a baby when she held me to feed me a bottle (so she says), but since I’ve moved south I realize it really is all you need some days. Stopping by {late} from #throwbackthursdaylinkup

• Great Low Carb Food Ideas