Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

A Happier Healthier You - justoneoftheboys.com

I’ve mentioned before that I am determined to start crossing things off my Someday List. I’d always said that I would donate my hair someday, so I finally cut and donated 12 inches back in October. I haven’t had a single moment of regret since I made the cut. It made me want to work even harder on the rest of my Someday list.

I shared with you recently how Crystal Paine’s new book, Say Goodbye to Survival Mode, helped me to break free from merely trying to get through the day, tired and stressed.

“Somewhere along my life’s journey, I grasped on to the lie that it is wrong to care for myself, and something tells me that I’m not the only one who has felt this way. Maybe we have viewed it as vanity. Or being full of ourselves. Or misplaced priorities. On the list of things that I needed to do and the people that I needed to care for, adding my own name had never even occurred to me. Reading Crystal’s chapter on taking care of yourself jogged my memory…

My mother-in-law once told me something that, sadly, I have never followed…but that ends now. She told me that I am a good mom, but that it is time for me to mother myself in the same way that I mother my children. I care so deeply and tirelessly for them – but I now I need to care for myself, too. Wow.” Β ~Β From my postΒ When Life is Just Too Much ~ Say Goodbye to Survival Mode

After such a long time of not being very nice to myself, I have decided to make 2014 a time to take better care of me. It’s time to mother myself the way that I lovingly and passionately care for my boys. This is such a new thing for me – but I’m finally ready.

How does one go about taking care of themselves? I started to think of all the ways that I care for my boys, and I’ve come up with a few ways that I can translate into my own life…mind, body, and soul.

Nutrition ~ I’m careful about what my boys eat. Would I let them get away with not drinking enough water? Nope. Do I let them skip breakfast like I do so often? Not a chance. That’s because I love them, and I want the very best for them.

Sleep ~ I don’t let the ones that I love burn the midnight oil. It wouldn’t be good for them, and it’s not good for me. I need more sleep in my life. Everyone wins when Mom is feeling rested, and I have to make this a priority.

I make sure that my boys get time to relax, unwind, and have fun. I give them time to play with their friends, make sure that they are surrounded by good books, and that they get plenty of exercise.

These are all general goals, but what I want to do is share with you each week a few of the specific goals that I have for myself. And it would mean the world to me if you wanted to do this with me! I love the sense of community that I feel here in my little corner of the world. The added benefits of doing this with friends would make this so much more fun!

For this week, I have 10 goals for myself:

• Eat breakfast each morning this week.
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
  • Be in bed with a book by 2230 (we’re a military family – hence the military time).
  • Schedule a haircut (me-time) with the best hairstylist in the world!
  • Call my favorite Tribal Woman, (the lovely lady who took the photograph above), for one last chat before she leaves on her trip to visit her family in New Zealand for 3 whole months! I don’t know how I shall endure without her. Hold me.
  • Exercise 4 times this week – twice at the gym on machines and twice at home.
  • Make the time to paint my nails.
  • When tensions rise with kiddos, take a time-out-dance-party break.
  • Buy flowers for myself.
  • Take our boys to see Frozen (fun, relaxing family time).

What about you? Will you join me in making 2014 a happier, healthier, and energized year? I would LOVE to hear if there is something that you’re going to do for yourself this week! Will you be exercising? Reading a good book? Having a cup of tea with a friend? Whatever would help to brighten your week and take care of you – I hope that you’ll join me! Let’s do this together!

Love,

G

*Photo credit – NZ Portraits by Joanne

*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting Just One of the Boys.

• I LOVE this! So inspiring! I’m cheering for your success!

Thank you SO much for your encouragement and helping to inspire me in the first place! It feels pretty good to be excited about these goals for the week – a great way to begin! πŸ™‚

• Great idea! I’m in πŸ™‚ You’re so right about treating ourselves the way we treat our loved ones. I’m much more on top of my boys in terms of healthy food, getting outside, getting to bed at a decent hour. Not so much for myself though!

Yay!!! *happy Snoopy dance* I am so happy that we’re in this together, Moira! I can’t tell you how much that helps. πŸ™‚ What are you going to do for yourself this week? I’d love to hear all about it!

• Well, I would say I need to get myself out for at least 3 runs but Mother Nature is NOT going to cooperate with that goal this week πŸ™‚ I think I’ll start slow: I need to go to bed at a reasonable hour, drink more glasses of water than coffee before noon, visit with a friend just because, and put down the electronics by 9! Oh, and I really should make some time to do my nails too πŸ™‚

Oh yeah, Moira, I totally understand Mother Nature not being on board with me wanting to get outside to run. I love your goals – starting slow I think is the key to success! I’ve knocked off a couple of goals already this week. Next up, my nails! I hope you had a chance to do yours, too! πŸ™‚

Ginger, I *love* how you’ve equated caring for yourself to caring for your children. I do the same thing – allow myself to not get enough sleep while I’d never let that happen for my kids. Skip breakfast by working right through it even though I’d never in a million years send my kids to school without breakfast. I think this analogy will really stick in my head. Thanks!

Shana, thank you so much! Your comment made my day! I was hoping that others might be able to relate to caring for ourselves like we care for our children. Thank you so much for your encouragement!

• I’ve been trying to hold myself to the same nutritional standards that I give my daughter, and it’s been surprisingly tough. This week, I’m trying to not sneak junk food during her nap! Today, fail. Tomorrow is a new day, though.

Hiya, Sharla! I’m so happy that you stopped by today! It’s incredibly hard to keep to the same nutritional standards that we have for our kids – you’re so right! You’re so right on with the post that I put up today – tomorrow really is a new day, with no mistakes in it yet! πŸ™‚

• I hope that you have a great week with your goals! I love that you donated your hair. I have before, but maybe I should try for it again!

Enjoy watching frozen this week!

• Yessssss! I so need this. It’s weird, I’m good about some of it — I usually eat pretty well, get sleep when I can even when Id rather stay up late reading, and working out… But I’m terrible about pampering myself in little ways (like painting my nails) and making time to spend time with friends. I’m really working on that, though… This week I am having lunch with a friend and I’m going to try to be really really good about putting lotion on my hands. They’re really suffering this winter.

Yes! I’m horrible at pampering myself as well. I started doing little things here and there a while back, and it’s nice to do those little things. Sometimes lighting a yummy candle can really lift the mood. I’ve crossed off a few things from my list, and I’m getting ready to tackle my nails. I hope you are able to get to yours! Wish we were closer so we could have coffee together!

• The flowers one caught my eye. I’ve always said I’m not a flowers person but when I do get them, I love them. I see them for pretty cheap at Aldi’s. I need to just get them. Not only will I enjoy them, but everyone in my family too.

Yes! I have always said that I’m not a flowery person either, but I really love having fresh flowers to look at around the house! Go getcha some! I’ll be checking up on you. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Ginger-This post was great! Thanks for the reminder that it’s ok to take care of myself. I had already been giving myself a little more love and self-care by implementing a few things on your list, but just reading that another mom is making herself a priority too reminds me that it’s not selfish of us to do things that help make us better women, wives and mothers. I want to get some flowers! Especially since we are being hit by another winter blast. A burst of color will make everyone in the house smile!

Hiya Jacqui! I am so excited that you stopped by today! Isn’t it crazy how we are made to feel that we shouldn’t take better care of ourselves? I’m so happy that you are going to do something for yourself! I hope got yourself some flowers! I love seeing the pop of lovely color every time I look at them!

• […] How was your week? I can’t tell you how encouraged I was to read that some of you wanted to join me in taking better care of ourselvesΒ in Week 1! I felt like I had a wonderful community right alongside me – and I couldn’t […]

• Missy says:

Love this! Since my youngest “baby” is now 4yrs old and out of the really needy stage. I’ve decided to make 2014 my year as well.

Yay, Missy! I am so thrilled that you’re joining us in taking care of ourselves this year!!! My youngest is 5, so I’m right there with you. It’s a new thing to not be in that needy stage – and we really can be better wives, mothers, and friends when we take a little time to care for ourselves. πŸ™‚ Have you found something this week to do for you? πŸ™‚

• […] life.” This book helped inspire my decision to take better care of myself this year with our Healthier, Happier You series! I can’t recommend it […]

• Cerrajero Torrelodones

Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

• real estate agents

Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

• twitter page designers

Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

• linked web page

Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us

• hop over to this web-site

Week #1 ~ A Happier, Healthier Us