Previous post

What I’m Into ~ January 2014 Edition

It’s my favorite time of the month again! It’s time to join the lovely Leigh Kramer for the What I’m Into link up! Fix yourself a hot toddy, grab a blanket, and be sure to check out all of the awesome links this month! Personally, I most love to see what people are reading. I always add books to my GoodReads list every month!

What Im Into - January 2014 justoneoftheboys.com

Family ~

The boys and I enjoy jam sessions on our way to take Camden to school each morning. The most requested song of the month – “You’re gonna hear me ROAR!” It’s nice to have a few minutes to dance in our seats, giggle, and enjoy being together before the day gets any crazier. I love these little moments with our boys. I hope that they remember these times forever and always.

My dad and I took the boys to see the Harlem Globetrotters last week. I snapped this photo of Quinn as he watched in awe. I love the magic and joy that these wonderful players bring to people of all ages!

541512_10153802996975707_1509045556_n

“Mommy, are you going to have a baby?” Our 5 year old asked me this again this week. I shared with you this month about how Quinn wonders if he will ever have a baby sister.

My little gentleman-in-training, Camden, turned 10 years old this month. I wrote about how we almost lost him a couple of times before he was even born, and how I loved him from the very beginning. Above all I want all of our boys to know that they are enough…and that they are loved.

camden pic monkey

Fashion ~

I found a few fashion bargains this month! I picked up new workout clothes from the TJ Maxx clearance rack. Exercising is just a wee bit more fun when you’re sporting new duds! Speaking of exercise, I’ve been continuing to rehab my hip after having surgery this fall. I’ve worked up to where I am biking 11 miles twice a week at the gym. If all goes well, my surgeon will even clear me to start running in February! Woohoo!

I also stepped into a new fashion trend for me – ankle wedge booties. They were a steal of a deal, found at my favorite local consignment store. If you ever come visit me in Kansas, I’ll be sure to take you there – I always find amazing treasures in that store! I’ve been wanting to try something like this for a while, and I couldn’t pass up such a bargain! I’m still getting used to the shortness, but they sure are comfy! And the wedge doesn’t seem to hurt my hip very much. Score!

What Im Into fashion 2014

Books ~

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode (Book Recommendation) - justoneoftheboys.com

January’s Reading ~

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode: 9 Simple Strategies to Stress Less, Sleep More, and Restore Your Passion for Life, by Crystal Paine – Friends, this is the must-read book of 2014. I wrote more about this lifesaver of a book earlier this month, and I am excited to implement even more of Crystal’s helpful tips into my life this year!

The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert – This book is sweeping and beautifully written. The story spans a few generations, and takes you on adventures all over the globe. A couple of times the plot twists had me thinking, “Huh?” But overall, I couldn’t put it down!

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World, by Michael Hyatt – Full of wonderful advice for bloggers, writers, and anyone who is interested in building a platform. I highlighted about half of this book to go back and review again soon. Awesome!

She Walks in Beauty: A Woman’s Journey Through Poems, by Caroline Kennedy – An amazing collection of poems that touch on so many areas that are dear to a woman’s heart. I borrowed it from the library, but I hope to have a copy for my bookshelf very soon!

1525125_242023649298010_1843762180_n

And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini – I read this in just a couple of sittings while I was sick a couple of weeks ago. Wow. Just wow. This story gave me goosebumps, made me cry, and left me wanting to re-read Hosseini’s other books.

The Getaway Car: A Practical Memoir About Writing and Life, by Ann Patchett – I loved learning about her early days as a struggling writer. I highlighted many of her wonderful pieces of advice. This was my very first Ann Patchett book, but it won’t be my last. Bel CantoI’m looking at you.

The Pavilion of Women, by Pearl S. Buck – How did I overlook this book for all of these years? I’m not quite finished with it, but I should be by the weekend. The story of Madame Wu has captured me. Timelessly written and full of incredible characters, I’ll be reading more Pearl S. Buck very soon!

On Tap for February ~

What Im Reading in February 2014

I’m also joining Leigh Kramer in her February reading challenge. She’s only reading books this month that she already owns, but hasn’t gotten around to reading…until now. I thought it was a great challenge! I took my new books back to the library, (I can always get them again next month), and narrowed down the choices already living on my bookshelves.

Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout

The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls

The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield

Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller

Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, by Charles J. Shields

These are all books that I have wanted to read for quite a while. I am especially excited about Mockingbird. I’ll be back next month with all of the details!

Also on the blog ~

I shared a letter with you, apologizing to the Girl in the Mirror. We had two wonderful In Her Shoes guest posts: 5 Ways to Encourage Your Young Pastor’s Wife and Grace & Second Chances. The most read post was when I shared how Crystal Paine’s new book, Say Goodbye to Survival Mode, was helping to get my year off to a great start.

I joined the Twitter world! If you’re into tweeting, I’d love to hear from you! I’m @1oftheboysblog

I worked on the About Me page here in my little corner of the world. If you have a second to check it out, I’d love to hear what you think! I’m still so new to this blogging world, but I’m slowing learning and getting my feet wet. Thank you so much for not throwing tomatoes at me while I learn the ropes and find my groove!

My Beloved also helped me to add Pin It buttons to the tops and bottoms of each post. I’m stretching myself to try and create better pictures for my posts. It’s a learning experience – but fun, too! Can I ask you for a huge favor? If you read a post here on Just One of the Boys that you like, would you please consider tapping the Pin It button and adding it to your Pinterest boards so that we can share it with others? It would really mean the world to me!

Coming up this month, we have more inspiring and encouraging In Her Shoes guest posts, I’ll be sharing with you some of my goals for 2014, more of Our Story, and so much more. Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today. I hope that you’ll join me again soon!

Wishing you a most wonderful February,

~ Ginger

*Photo credit – #3 was taken by NZ Portraits by Joanne. Most of the other photos were taken with Instagram.

*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Just One of the Boys!

• Those wedge booties are so cute! I have a pair of black ankle booties that I really love, but then at the last minute I always chicken out and switch to something more conservative… boring black flats or black boots AGAIN. (Your ABOUT page looks great, BTW!) And you’re going to love Bel Canto. But in the meantime… have you never read Blue Like Jazz? You’re in for a treat. So good!

Hey Sarah! The wedge booties certainly are a little out of my comfort zone, but I am enjoying putting myself out there with these new kicks. 🙂 Nothing wrong with black flats or black boots – classic! Thank you so much for your encouragement on my About Me page. I had never read Blue Like Jazz, but I’m loving it so far!

I loved Say Goodbye to Survival Mode, too. So much good stuff there. I feel like I need to re-read it every six months or so just to reabsorb it all. I also read The Signature of All Things a month or so ago. I’d never read any of Gilbert’s fiction and was impressed. Sometimes the botany got boring, but I so loved Alma, her father, her Dutch uncle, etc. You’re in for a treat with The Glass Castle. It’s SOOOOOO good!

Wasn’t Say Goodbye to Survival Mode an awesome book?! I’m re-reading it slowly, and, like you, I think I need to do it again every so often! Poor Alma, I wanted happier things for her – but it was a beautiful story! I’ll be starting on The Glass Castle after I’m finished with Blue Like Jazz. 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Leigh Kramer says:

How fun that you got to see the Harlem Globetrotters! They are amazing. Love those booties! Even better that you found them at a consignment shop. I plan on taking The Signature of All Things with me when I go on vacation in March. Seems like a good book to read on the plane. So glad you’re joining the reading challenge! I can’t wait to hear what you think of The Thirteenth Tale.

Hiya Leigh! As always, another wonderful month of round-ups! Thank you so much for hosting it! The Signature of All Things will be great for the plane – can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I’m adding in The Thirteenth Tale this week. 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Jennifer says:

I love your “What I’m Into” posts, Ginger! This one was as delightful to read as the all of the others that I have seen since finding your blog via this linkup at the end of October. I read your posts about Camden thus month and I wanted to comment on them – but the tears were impairing my typing – they were so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that part of your story with us. And I completely agree w/you re: workout attire; I am always much more motivated when I like my workout clothing – super cute find!

Hiya Jennifer! Thank you so much for your kind words! I cried all through writing Camden’s story, myself. 🙂 What is it about new workout clothes – I’m always more productive when I have cute exercise clothes! Hope you have a great week!

• Whew, there needs to be more days in a month ;). You’ve got a lot going on, and I love that you are making a plan to read more books. I’m trying to take more pics, and read at least one book a month.

January certainly did fly by! I love seeing your photography! That is one area where I need to learn, grow, and practice. I am so happy that you stopped by – thank you!

• Annette says:

Hello. I’m a Kansas girl! I live in Tonganoxie. Would enjoy coffee or shopping. Love your posts.

• Ooh, I loved Olive Kitteridge, and, of course, Jeanette Walls is always a brilliant memoirist. Have fun!

Hiya Cara! I’ve started Blue Like Jazz, but I can’t wait to get to The Glass Castle as soon as I finish it. Olive Kitteridge sounds like such a good book – I’m sure I’ll be diving in before I know it! Thank you so much for stopping by – hope you have a great week!

• Amy E Patton says:

Yes! I started reading everyone’s What I’m Into posts for the books. I felt sad that I didn’t highlight the books I read in my post because I read some of the best I’ve ever read…but I plan on reviewing them over the next few weeks. Also, every month I come by here and think- I need to remember this blog- and then I forget. So…I just added you to my bloglovin’ feed! Can’t wait to read more. Amy

Hiya Amy! I can’t wait to hear more about the amazing books that you read last month! I’ll definitely be checking in! Thank you so much for your sweet comments – and for adding me to your bloglovin’ feed! You really made my day! 🙂

• Toni says:

Bel Canto is a stunningly beautiful book! I want to reread it, but I’ve already given away my copy. 😛 Ann Patchett owns an independent bookstore in Nashville and I’m hoping for a chance to visit while I’m in the area.

Blue Like Jazz is one of the handful of books that really changed my life… I think I might not find it as stunning now, 8-9 years later, but at the time, it met me exactly where I was. Hope you enjoy it too. 🙂

Hiya Toni! I’m really enjoying Blue Like Jazz. I can see how it could have really rocked my world if I had read it sooner – but I’m still loving it. Bel Canto might be on next month’s list. I have it on my Kindle, but I’m trying to focus on some of my physical books that I haven’t read yet this month. So many books, so little time! Oh, and I’ve heard about that bookstore – We should take a road trip and meet there! It could be like Mecca! 😉

• Mavis says:

Hi Ginger,

Hard to believe that the oldest is 10 now, makes me miss the old days on the HGTV and HT boards. I’m trying to get back to my own blogging and thought maybe if I caught up on some of my friends blogs that it would motivate me to get back going. I’ll have to check out some of the books you are reading. Every one and awhile I need a break from the history and genealogy books that I love to read.

Hiya Mavis! I am so thrilled that you stopped by today! You just made my day! It is hard to believe that we were all on the HGTV and HT boards so long ago. I love that our group still keeps in touch. Yay for getting back to blogging – that is so exciting. I love all of the heart and soul that you pour into history and genealogy. 🙂 I’ll be following your blog progress!

• […] shared with you a couple of weeks ago what books I’m curling up with in the month of February. This month I joined Leigh Kramer’s February reading challenge, where I’m only reading […]

• […] in bed with a book by 2230 – military time (I was able to do this all but two of the nights. One night I […]

• […] in bed with a book by 2230 (we’re a military family – hence the military […]

• Lighter Exercise