To the Girl in the Mirror ~

to the girl in the mirror

I want desperately to apologize to you. I haven’t been very nice to you, and for that I am deeply sorry.

I have compared you to the reflections of others and believed that you were lacking. I have judged and criticized you – right to your face. Instead of finding something nice to say about you, I thought that I was being humble by looking for your faults.

I let you think that you would be good enough if only you lost a few more pounds. You were only a fragile teenager, hungry for nourishment and approval, and I withheld them from you. The lower the number on the scale read, the happier I thought that you would be – but I was so very wrong. I robbed you of your girlish joy.

I should have been a comfort instead of critical of you since you had your babies. Your body has given birth to three amazing little boys. When your jeans wouldn’t fit, I should have told you to gaze at the beautiful little faces looking up at you and to realize how very blessed you are. You were busy being a good mommy, but I should have been taking better care of you.

I apologize to you, the Girl in the Mirror, for every hurtful thought, word, and action that I have given you over the years. I am so very sorry. I hope that you will forgive me, and be patient with me as I learn how to take better care of you. I can’t erase the pain that I have caused you, but I can work at never causing that pain again.

I’m going to tell you something that I have never told you before, but I promise that it’s true…

Your hands guide, comfort, and care for those around you. They are beautiful. Your eyes try to see the good in people and look for ways to encourage others – and they are beautiful.  Your heart has been broken, but you refused to let it break you. You chose the path of forgiveness and let your heart heal. You are turning your story into a way to inspire others, to let them know that they are not alone – and that is beautiful.

You are beautiful, Girl in the Mirror. Uniquely and wonderfully beautiful. You are enough…just as you are.

Love,

Me

*Photo is courtesy of John Zimmerman

Linking up today with Holley Gerth’s wonderful series, Coffee for Your Heart.

• Joy Lenton says:

Hi Ginger. Oh what a lovely letter to write yourself! I know that trap of speaking negatively so well and it drains a soul of energy and joy. Here you have restored the balance by revealing that the tender care and love you lavish on your family can also be given to yourself. Appreciating our good points is a way of honouring the way God made us to be. Be blessed as you take your own words to heart. It’s great to meet you, beautiful sister in Christ! 🙂 x

Hiya Joy! I am so touched that you stopped by today! Yes, you are so right – this is a trap that drains energy and joy from our hearts. Thank you so much for your encouraging words – it was my hope that my story could inspire and be a blessing to others. 🙂 *hugs*

• “Your hands guide, comfort, and care for those around you. They are beautiful. Your eyes try to see the good in people and look for ways to encourage others – and they are beautiful. Your heart has been broken, but you refused to let it break you. You chose the path of forgiveness and let your heart heal. You are turning your story into a way to inspire others, to let them know that they are not alone – and that is beautiful.”

This is perfect. I’m almost speechless because of the profound effect your words have on me today. <3

Thank you so very much for stopping by today, Katie! Your kind message was so encouraging to me – it was my hope that someone would be touched and encouraged through my story. *hugs to you*

• There are no words. Simply wonderful–sharing on Facebook. Everyone needs to read this message of affirmation, truth, hope and Godly love!!! Blessings, and thanks so very much for the uplift!

Thank you so very much for stopping by today, Marianne! I was deeply encouraged by your words – and by your sharing my story with others. It was my prayer that someone would be inspired or touched in some way. Thank you for your encouragement! *hugs*

• Ginger,
    That was my love letter for making peace with myself. Im building the courage to post it on one of my posts. Thank you for having the courage for us to say the hard things we want to say, but hold back, out of shame, guilt, resentment…the list goes on. Thank you.

Hiya Beatriz! What a gorgeous name! Thank you so much for stopping by today. Your message was so encouraging to my heart! It is hard to go there…I’ve known that approaching this subject was coming, but it takes digging out those hurts and letting the tears flow – at least in my experience. I always feel better after getting it all “out there” and I hope that you will feel the same way! *hugs to you, new friend*

• Holley Gerth says:

Wow, I love the way you approached the topic this week for Coffee for Your Heart. I resonated with so much of what you said. I think all women need to write a letter to that girl in the mirror. Thank you!

Holley, I am so touched that you stopped by today! Thank you so much for hosting this incredible linkup and for your encouraging words. I have been so blessed by each of the stories that I have read, and I am meeting new blogging kindred spirits along the way! *clinks our coffee mugs* Cheers and hugs to you!

• barb says:

Blessings to you dear woman. Many, many blessings. May your campfire always burn warm and comforting.

• Katie says:

I like your statement, “I thought I was being humble by looking for your faults.” I know I have been not so nice to my girl in the mirror but all the while thinking I was being humble by doing so. It is good to get a different perspective on true beauty and true humility. Thanks for the thoughts!! 🙂

Yes! Isn’t that crazy – we end up putting down God’s creation, His masterpiece – us – by thinking that we’re actually being humble. It was so convicting to me as I was soaking up all of my thoughts and putting them down on paper. I’m so thrilled that you stopped by! Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement!

• Ginger-I feel like you wrote this for me, or about me or to me…you touched me deeply with your words, encouraging me to be more forgiving of myself.

Hi there Lanette! I am so touched by your incredibly encouraging words – thank you! It was my prayer that someone would be touched and encouraged. I am so happy that stopped by!

• Amy Dotson says:

We should all be that real with ourselves and extend ourselves the grace you demonstrated in these words. This was beautifully written. Thank you.

Hi Amy! I apologize that it took me so long to respond. For some reason your message went into the spam folder. 🙁 I just caught it today. I’m such a tech newbie that I don’t know why that happened. Thank you so very much for your sweet, sweet comments. What an encouragement they are to me! I am so happy that you stopped by – Have a wonderful weekend!

• This is just beautiful! I have different struggles, mostly trying not to be martyr-mom and realizing that taking time for myself IS good for kids because its good for me, but the sweet caring voice of this piece is just right, almost like you are mothering yourself.

Hi there! Yes, isn’t it sad how we moms get into a mindset where we forget to take care of us, too? I hope that you are able to take a little time today to care for you! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! You made my morning!

• Hi Ginger! What a lovely letter to yourself and a reminder to be kinder to ourselves, especially us mommies who have (unrealistically) high standards for ourselves and perhaps for one another.

Hiya Lisa! I am so excited that you stopped by today. Thank you so much for your kind words – what an encouragement to this newbie! Looking forward to getting to know you better!

• Brenda says:

Well, this made me cry. In a good way. Thank you. 🙂

• […] shared a letter with you, apologizing to the Girl in the Mirror. We had two wonderful In Her Shoes guest posts: 5 Ways to Encourage Your Young Pastor’s Wife […]

• […] such a long time of not being very nice to myself, I have decided to make 2014 a time to take better care of me. It’s time to mother myself the […]

• Farah says:

That’s beautiful! It’s so hard sometimes to appreciate our nows instead of our maybes.

• We all need to write a letter to the girl in the mirror. Have you seen the Dove commercial where a number of women describe herself to an artist who then draws her. Then the person sitting next to the woman describes herself and he again draws her. Needless to say the second drawing is much more complimentary – and accurate. After viewing, I came up with how I would describe myself – not one thing was positive. I forced myself to come up with something positive – my eyes are a pretty shade of blue – though they are too small and deep set.

We all need to practice more self-acceptance. Thanks for sharing.

• You are such a beautiful writer, Ginger. I love every.single.post you shared with us, concise and eloquent. I wish we all had courage to forgive the girl in the mirror for our past mistakes, look past our blunders and celebrate our small victories 🙂

Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday, so glad to have you join my linkups and gotten to know you more.

• Grace Houle says:

Beautifully written. Thank you for writing this, I was just thinking of how to formulate the thoughts that you described here. Thanks for sharing your gift of writing with us.

• salt.fernuni-hagen.de

To the girl in the mirror ~

• Alysha says:

This really is so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Your words ring true for so many of us, and we constantly need to be reminded that we are enough.

XOXO