I Like Big BOOKS and I Cannot Lie ~

I have a confession to make… I tend to be really nosey around bookshelves – I just want to see what you’re reading! Making new kindred spirit bibliophile friends, gathering new titles for my GoodReads list, and bonding over similar tastes in books are so much fun! The lovely Modern Mrs. Darcy is hosting a bookshelf party this week, where fellow readers can share what is on their bookshelves! Fix yourself a warm cup of apple cider, get ready to add to your to-read list, and head over there for even more bookshelf goodness!

Today I’m giving you a peek into a few of our bookshelves around the house. I’m not sharing all of them today, as that would require a sack lunch, but I am excited to show you a few of my favorite things!

These bookshelves, on either side of our stone fireplace, are built-ins and were here when we bought our house two years ago…

bookshelf2

bookshelf1

bookshelf7

I’m not entirely sure how Superman ended up on the same shelf as Anne Lamott, Max Lucado, and A.J. Jacobs…I’m guessing that I have a little boy to thank for that!

bookshelf6

bookshelf14

bookshelf12

I have been lucky enough to find some new books recently while bargain hunting at a thrift store – I can’t wait to dive in!

bookshelf13

These have been well-loved favorites since the 2nd grade…Thank you, Aunt Nanette!

bookshelf8

Russian, Korean, and Hindi books – oh my!

bookshelf9

Mr. Quinn wanted to say HI as he was guarding the antique books that I display in our otherwise empty dining room ~

bookshelf3

bookshelf11

bookshelf5

bookshelf10

bookshelf4

Β We have several more bookshelves in our house – some for kids’ books, some for our homeschooling curriculum, and a giant copper bin for our library books. Oooh, and there are the stacks of books on our coffee table and my nightstand! Oh well – maybe we’ll visit those another time.

Thank you so much for coming to visit my personal library today! Are you like me and enjoy snooping around bookshelves when you’re visiting a friend? Did you see any favorites tucked into my collection? Is there anything that my collection is sorely missing that I need to add ASAP? I would love to hear suggestions from you! If you’d like to see what I’m currently reading, and how I rated what I just finished, I’d love to connect with you on GoodReads! You can find my link in the top right hand of the screen.

Just One of the Boys now has its own Facebook page! *happy Snoopy dance!* I would love to connect with you there as well – just click and “like” right here: Just One of the Boys! Won’t you please, won’t you please? Please won’t you be my neighbor? πŸ™‚

I’m heading over to Modern Mrs. Darcy right now to check out all of the other bookshelf linkups… I hope that you join me!

Wishing you a most lovely weekend,

~ Ginger

*Linking up with Women Living Well Wednesdays

I love to read and books take me places I’ve never been before and also to some comfortable well worn hideouts. Like you some of my oldest friends and sometimes it seems my only friend.

Mark, I love how books can transport the reader to those new or familiar places, just like you said! Have you given To Kill a Mockingbird a try yet? πŸ™‚

I bought it but have not read it yet. I’ll let you know.

Good! Please do πŸ™‚

Ginger,
            To Kill a Mockingbird was an awesome book. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and was moved by it. I loved the humor in it as well.

Yay! I am so glad that you enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird! I love all of the different aspects of it – tackling the issues of the day, the relationships, the dialogue, the humor, the coming-of-age story. It’s literary goodness – and I’m so happy that you liked it! πŸ™‚

• Jennifer says:

What lovely bookshelves! You have a well-curated collection, Ginger; it’s such a great balance between contemporary texts and timeless classics. I love the last few photos of your favorites. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you so much for visiting and your sweet comments! πŸ™‚ I love our built-ins. They are so sturdy! Even if they aren’t exactly as I would have designed in my wildest dreams, I am thrilled for good shelves! πŸ™‚

• Amanda says:

I snapped a photo last weekend of a tote bag that said “I like big books and I cannot lie” – it was fantastic. Love those built-ins! Something tells me Anne Lamott wouldn’t mind sharing shelf space with Superman πŸ™‚

Hehe! I saw the phrase somewhere – at some point. Probably Pinterest. πŸ™‚ Anyway, it came immediately to mind as I was putting together today’s post. You know, I had that same thought about Anne Lamott and Superman – she’s cool like that! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for stopping by!

• Best.Post.Title.Ever. I think I could spend hours digging through your shelves! But you’re antique Shakespeare? Swoon! (And those built ins too!)

Haha! You made my day with your comment! πŸ™‚ I love nothing more than talking books with friends and lending out favorites! I started collecting the antique Shakespeare and other antique books when I was a teenager. I love holding such a delicate book in my hand an soaking up all of the history as well as the story! Thank you so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• When my grandmother died, I got all her beautiful poetry books. Such a gift! And very similar to yours.

• You do have a great collection! And I enjoyed reading some of your story–nice to ‘meet’ another mom of boys! πŸ™‚

HI Ana! Thank you so much for visiting today! It is always a great day when you can meet and bond with a fellow mom of boys! πŸ™‚ Again, your collection is drool-worthy! πŸ™‚

• Jen says:

Just saw you have The Shack on your shelf. One of my favs. I just pick up Bonhoffer at the library and am anxious to get it read!! I also have a study by James McDonald sitting by my bed. For fun reading I’m in the middle of a Jodi Picoult book. Love reading your posts!

Jen! Hi there! Thank you so much for your lovely comment – you just completely made my day! We miss you at church! πŸ™‚ Bonhoeffer is on my to-read list, so I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on it! I’ve read many other things about him, but not the newest book just yet. Which Jodi Picoult book are you reading? I have only read a couple of her books, but they are so memorable! I hope that y’all have a wonderful weekend! πŸ™‚

• MJ says:

I saw so many favorites of mine on your shelves. I especially love that Anne Lamott shares a shelf with the DC encyclopedia. A few years ago my older son completely wore a copy of that DC (and it’s Marvel counterpart) completely out. Your “thrift store” shelf is a line up of several of my favorites!

Boys and superheroes πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to get started on the thrifted books – I don’t usually buy many books, but these were so cheap that I didn’t mind πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for stopping by today! πŸ™‚

• Jeannie says:

WOW, I not only covet your collection, but I covet your built-ins. (That’s my confession for the day. πŸ™‚ ) I saw many titles/authors that I love on your shelves: the Little House books, Boundaries (I LOVE Henry Cloud & John Townsend), Secret Life of Bees, Gilead, Brennan Manning, Elizabeth Strout…….

Hasn’t this linkup been fun?

So much fun! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for stopping by and your sweet comment! I also love most of the ones that you mentioned, but Gilead, Strout, Bees…those are all new-to-me books that I can’t wait to dive into very soon! πŸ™‚ So nice to “meet” another kindred book spirit! πŸ™‚

• Ginger, I have a very similar well-loved collection of Little House on the Prairie books. I also caught a glimpse of Love and Respect … hands down the best marriage book I’ve ever read. And the Secret Life of Bees. Sigh. Such a great book. This meeting of kindred book spirits is great fun! Thanks for giving us a window into your impressive collection and for visiting my blog, too.

Yes! We really enjoyed Love and Respect. It’s one of those classics that we should go and re-read every so often! πŸ™‚ The Secret Life of Bees is new to me, so I need to put it on my to-read pile sooner than later! Thank you for your recommendation! Love “meeting” new kindred spirits! πŸ™‚ I enjoyed your blog – I’ll be finding my way over there more often πŸ™‚

• Love your shelves and the way they’re organized–I spy a lot of favorites! I especially love your “much loved” Little House and your “favorites” and “old friends” shelves. Those editions are so pretty.

Thanks for sharing your shelves with us!

Thank you very much, Anne! I have enjoyed this link-up immensely! Thank you for hosting it and for letting us snoop around everyone’s literary lives! πŸ™‚

• Such a lovely collection! I see a lot of titles I know well. So glad you introduced yourself, Ginger! I look forward to getting to know you better. πŸ™‚

Yay! I am so glad for the chance to get to know you better, too! I will look Krista up and check out her blog as well! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for your sweet comments! Love “meeting” new blogging and post-ATI friends! πŸ™‚

• Hi, Ginger,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I absolutely love your older copies of Shakespeare and other classics. What great finds. I’d be afraid to touch them!

Ruth

Hi Ruth! Thank you so much for visiting my blog today – I really appreciate your kind comments! I try to be careful with my older books, but there’s something so comforting about reading such a treasure. πŸ™‚ Plus, I have found them as I bargain hunted at estate sales, garage sales, and used bookstores over the years. πŸ™‚ So glad that you stopped by!

I see a lot of books on your fiction shelf that are on mine too: Gilead, The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Hunger Games, Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason, The Bluest Eye. I haven’t read Gilead or The Time Traveler’s Wife yet. What did you think of them, or are they the ones you just picked up at the thrift store?

I get almost all of my books at the thrift or used book store these days!

• Hi Shana,
      I know you’re not talking to me, but I thought I’d pipe up about Gilead. I read it just a few weeks before it was announced as the Pulitzer and found it impossible to put down. The rhythm was so natural, and without chapter breaks I felt like I was climbing inside the world of the book, just living alongside unfolding thoughts. It’s one of those reads where you’re amazed by the beauty and find the writing so flawless the process of creating it reads deceptively easy.

Hi Caroline! I hear nothing but praise when it comes to Gilead, and I can’t wait to read it! It might be crawling up higher on my to-read list with your beautiful review! Thank you SO much! I love finding new book-loving kindred spirits! πŸ™‚

HI there, Shana! I have read a few of those – I loved The Time Traveler’s Wife when I borrowed it from the library a few years ago, so when I saw it cheap recently, I had to snatch it up for my collection! Gilead is a new one to me. I hope to get to it before Christmas! πŸ™‚ Thank you for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• Great bookshelves! I spy Boundaries — I recommend that book a lot! You have a lot of books there that I’ve really enjoyed reading, too. This link0up just made me feel like all us MMD readers were one big happy book-loving family. I’m off to check out your FB page!

The Boundaries books are so good! I wish that I had found those books sooner in life, but I am reaping the benefits of them now! πŸ™‚ I loved this link-up – what a fun way sense of community! I am so glad that you stopped by – thank you so very much!

• Becca says:

Wow. You really did snag some great finds thrifting! I just recently thrifted The Shack as well – I’m curious because I’ve heard such wildly mixed reviews. I loved Hunger Games, enjoyed the Secret Life of Bees, and really liked (most) of The Time Traveler’s Wife (actually one of the rare movies I might have enjoyed more than the book simply because it left out some of my least favorite parts of the book). Fun. Fun. FUN! Thanks for stopping over to check out my shelves and I am thrilled to find you and follow you on Facebook – always love enjoying the life of other moms of boys πŸ™‚

I really enjoyed the movie for Time Traveler’s Wife – which is unusual for me and books turned into movies! πŸ™‚ I am excited to compare notes on The Shack! I’ve also heard quite differing opinions on the book, so I guess I need to read it for myself! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for stopping by – I love “meeting” other moms of boys and fellow bloggers, too!!! πŸ™‚

• […] above, November was a busy month! We had several wonderful In Her Shoes guest posts, found out what books are on my bookshelves, got an Instagram peek into my life, learned what makes me – me, and I shared about a very […]

• night stand dimensions