What I’m Into ~ October 2013 Edition

“I’m so glad that I live in a world where there are Octobers.” ~ Anne of Green Gables

I’m linking up with the lovely Leigh Kramer again this month for another What I’m Into monthly round-up. Fix yourself a cup of tea, grab a cozy blanket, and curl up to enjoy all of the great blogs linking up this month!

“Hip”-ster news ~

I am recovering slowly but surely after having hip surgery last month. I’m still on crutches, but will hopefully be titrating down to only one crutch, and then none, over the next week or so. Yippee!!!

IMG_5021

Making the cut ~

I wrote here about conquering the battle with my comfort zone – my Someday list, and then deciding to donate my hair! I followed up with a before & after post showing my new, shorter ‘do. I absolutely loved my experience – and I am so honored to be giving 12″ of hair to Children With Hair Loss. I only wish that I could do more!

IMG_5003

Friends & family ~

Do you remember V from our very first In Her Shoes post? She and her family stayed overnight with us on their way back home from a wedding. The kids had a blast, I loved getting to visit face-to-face with my wonderful friend, and snuggling with little Mr. M! We can’t wait until we can see our friends again – hopefully soon!

IMG_4975

V M and I

We also celebrated our middlest kiddo’s 8th birthday this month! He got exactly what he asked for – a new bike and the book Si-cology, by Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. The kid can’t get enough of everyone’s favorite bearded uncle! After test driving a few bikes at Target, he found his new Shaun White bicycle at Academy. He put socks and sneakers on as soon as we got home and took it for a spin around the cul-de-sac.

IMG_5018

Read in October ~

The Reason I Jump, by Naoki Higashida – This is an incredible book written by a 13 year old Japanese boy with Autism. The rawness of his story, the beauty of his heart, and the look behind the curtain at what goes on inside his mind made for a book that I will never forget. I first heard about this book while watching The Daily Show, and I can’t recommend it highly enough! Friends, you’re welcome to borrow it, or any of my books!

IMG_4994

We Were on Fire, by Addie Zierman – I pre-ordered Addie’s book and devoured it in three days. She tells the story, her story, of growing up “on fire” in a Christian sub-culture, how she burnt out – then spiraled into the depths of depression and drinking, and then back again. It was moving, and I can’t wait to read more from one of my new favorite bloggers! You can follow her yourself at her blog – How to Talk Evangelical.

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers – I borrowed this one from a friend. Thank you, R! I had heard many good things about this story – a historical fiction work based on the lives of Hosea and Gomer from the Old Testament. I enjoyed the book more than I had originally thought that I would. It was raw, painful at times, and a beautiful story of forgiveness and love.

Bittersweet: Thoughts on Grace, Change, and Learning the Hard Way, by Shauna Niequist – Such a great collection of essays, I wanted to savor each chapter and not rush through this book. She shares her stories of pregnancy, loss, growth, friendship, and so much more! I recommend this for a book to add in with a little quiet time – the chapters aren’t long, but I loved pondering her stories slowly over the last month.

Currently on my nightstand ~

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant

A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live, by Emily P. Freeman – I am reading this one in small doses and following along with the (in)courage bloom book club!

IMG_5033

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, by Lynne Truss

On Writing, by Stephen King – This is my very first Stephen King book. Scary stuff is not my cup of tea, but so far I am really enjoying the memoir about his craft!

Jesus Feminist, by Sarah Bessey – I pre-ordered this book as well, and I’m super excited to dig in once the big brown truck delivers it my way!

JesusFem_Quote1

Screen Time ~

To Kill a Mockingbird – This is my favorite book and movie of ALL TIME. Hands down. Forever and ever. Amen. My Beloved had never seen the film, so I talked him into watching it with me one weekend when the boys were gone. Maybe he understands me a bit better when I say that I have always wanted to name a little girl Harper after the author. With three boys, I just haven’t had the chance!

Breaking Bad – My hubby and I kept hearing all of the talk about the series finale, but we had never experienced the show. One weekend, again when my boys were away, we decided to watch the first episode – “just to see what all the fuss is about…” Well, by the end of the day, we were well into the second season. It kind of snowballed from there, and we just had to see how the story of the chemistry teacher/meth cook played out. I was disturbed by the show, for more reasons than you might think, but also found it very thought provoking – I’m hoping to share more with you soon.

In this neck of the woods ~

This month I linked up with Addie Zierman’s synchroblog with my post When I Was On Fire, and shared more of Our Story – when I was getting to know my Beloved a bit more in Someone Like Him and how I confronted my new life as a single mother in In the Quiet. I also wrote a birthday letter, The one where you get to meet my Aidento my favorite middle child. I cried happy mommy tears while writing it, I cried while reading it out loud to him, and he wiped a tear or two while he snuggled up next to me and listened with a giant grin.

Up next ~

We have a couple more In Her Shoes guest posts, more of Our Story, and a few new things that I’m working on.

Has this little blog really been up for three months already? I know that I’ve said it before, but thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking time out of your busy day to come visit my little corner of the world! Each time you read the things that are on my heart, “like,” comment, or encourage me in real life, it is like a giant hug! I can’t tell you how much it has meant to me to have such wonderful friends and family supporting me. Making new blogging friends has been a blast – and I look forward to what’s to come this next month! If you would like to receive my posts straight to your inbox – no muss, no fuss – simply add your email address just above the subscribe button on the top right-hand side. It’s that easy!

Hoping that you have a most lovely November,

~ G

I have never read “To Kill a Mockingbird” but you are the second person this month to brag on it so I have put it on my to read list. Glad you got to see your friend. I am looking forward to the movie Ender’s Game opening this weekend from one of the best books I have read. A thought provoking book as well as the follow up “Speaker for the Dead”.

Oooh! I have been wanting to read Ender’s Game. I think it just moved up my to-read list! 🙂 I can’t recommend To Kill a Mockingbird highly enough, Mark. I’m interested to know what you think about it!

• I can’t wait to read Jesus Feminist. And I love To Kill A Mockingbird! It’s so nice to have at least one positive portrayal of the legal profession out there in popular culture. =) I’ll be interested to hear what you think of A Million Little Ways.

Hi Sarah! I’ll definitely post an update when I’m finished with A Million Little Ways. So many good books, so little time. 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Jeri says:

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best movies ever. I finally read the book last year, and it was just as perfect. 🙂

It is, isn’t it, J? 🙂 It’s one of those rare gems where the book and movie are both beyond reproach! I first read it around age 12 – and it was my first glimpse into the bigger world around me. It still opens my eyes, makes me see that good doesn’t always win, but you still do what you know to do anyway. Love it! Thanks so much for your comment 🙂

• AlissaBC says:

So many of your books are on my lists! I’m intrigued by On Writing. I’ve overlooked it because I’m not horror fan either, but I may have to try it out now!

I’m really impressed! I have about half of the book straight up highlighted in my Kindle! There is language, but he gives really practical advice as a seasoned veteran! 🙂 I’m so glad that you stopped by – Thank you!

• Christina says:

Congratulations on the hair donation! And I am also pumped for Jesus Feminist.

Thank you so much! I love the shorter, sassy feel – excited to finally confront my fear, and give back! 🙂 I’d highly recommend it to anyone! 🙂 We’ll have to compare notes on Jesus Feminist soon 🙂 Thanks so much for visiting!

• Tacy says:

You have the cutest family! God bless!

• Loved Bittersweet! Have you read Bread and Wine by her yet? And I am hoping to read A Million Little Ways soon. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Hi Allie! I loved Bread & Wine – such a great book! I read it earlier this summer, so I was actually thinking about getting it down and re-reading it again soon! Her recipes are to die for! I’m enjoying A Million Little Ways so far 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Looks like you’ve got some great books on the list – but really, my favorite part of your post are your red boots. To die for!

Hehe! Thank you so much! I love my read boots – best clearance find yet! 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by – can’t wait to compare book notes again!

• Leigh Kramer says:

Glad surgery recovery has been going well!! Your new haircut is darling. Glad you loved Addie’s book as much as I did! I read Bittersweet exactly when I needed to- it seems to happen that way with each of Shauna’s books. I’m sure I’ll give in and watch Breaking Bad one of these days but I’ve got to watch 4 more seasons of Friday Night Lights first.

Oooh! Yes, finish FNL first. 🙂 Breaking Bad was a really well written/thought out show, and after the first episode, we were hooked! Shauna’s books and posts always seem to be perfectly timed to what I’m going through – love how her writing touches so many people in different situations! I’m thinking about re-reading Bread & Wine next month! 🙂

• Amy E Patton says:

Hi Ginger! I am so glad you found me through What I’m Into because that means I found you! I have a friend who son is autistic. I look forward to reading and sharing Why I Jump with her. I am about to start When We Were On Fire- as soon as I finish Traveling Mercies. Then I am onto A Million Little Ways, and Shauna Niquiest’s books are waiting patiently to be read. I love Redeeming Love, and The Red Tent is a favorite. There are many more things I could share but I need to run. I look forward to getting to know you better and reading more about In Her Shoes. Amy

Hiya Amy! I am so glad that you stopped by! I will be anxious to hear what you and your friend think of The Reason I Jump. Such a beautiful book! I have Traveling Mercies on my shelf waiting for me to read! 🙂 The Red Tent kept me pretty engrossed today on the exercise bike – I love reading about what it may have been like during that time in history! Thank you again for your kind comments – and I look forward to catching up on your blog as well! 🙂 Love meeting new blogging kindred spirits!