The one with what I’m into ~ August 2013 edition

Whoa! Has this little blog really been up and running for a whole month? Crazy! I have enjoyed every minute of it – and I am so happy to be linking up again with Leigh and sharing a few things that I have been into over the last month!

Threads ~ I found this cute cowgirl hat, on clearance – of course – and I’ve enjoyed sporting it several times this month! It goes well with a couple of cute sundresses that have made this summer heat a bit more bearable. I love that the hat gives me shade, keeps me cool, and adds a little spunk to my outfit!

New duds for this cowgirl! #theidearoom #dayonehat

A post shared by Ginger (@justoneoftheboys) on

Clearly, I have always had a thing for stylish hats – so I’m wondering why I had never made the leap into this genre before? Never too late to try a new bonnet!

Baby Ginger1 (Small)Baby Ginger 004 (Small)

Beauty ~ I’m all about Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm. I like a bright red lip just as much as the next girl, but most days I’m sporting BBs Red Dahlia lip balm. I’m even wearing it in my profile picture! My lips feel smooth and soft when I wear it, plus I don’t have to worry about leaving goopy or sticky smooch marks on my Beloved when he dips me for a kiss!

Reading ~ Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, by Helen Simonson was a delightful book! The pace was so peaceful and enjoyable, and I eagerly looked forward to curling up with a cup of tea and seeing what the charming Major Pettigrew and Mrs. Ali were up to each evening.

The Blessing of a Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children, by Wendy Mogel was an incredibly interesting parenting book! Filled with common sense ideas on raising children by a clinical psychologist, she uses Jewish teachings to show parents how to avoid raising “little attorneys,” honoring parents, and respecting others. One of my favorite quotes: “Your most lasting legacy, the only one that really matters, is how your children will treat their fellow creatures and the world you’re leaving them. It begins and ends with honor.” Even though I borrowed this isΒ  book from the library, I most definitely want to purchase it for my collection!

Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott has to be my favorite book that I’ve ever read on the subject of writing. As with her other works, this book made me laugh and cry all in the same sitting. Anne tells it to you straight – all about bad first drafts, getting to know your characters, dealing with criticism, being published, and everything in between. Even if you never consider a career in writing, her stories resonate with so many people. I loved this book so much that I wanted to underline pretty much the whole thing – but since it was from the library, I refrained. I’ll be adding this to my own personal library very soon – count on it!

Decoded, by Jay-Z is the most surprising book on my list this month. This book was fascinating! After getting it home from the library, I realized by flipping through it that I couldn’t leave it out on the coffee table with my other library books. Let’s just say that there are quite a few new vocabulary words that I don’t feel quite up to explaining to our little guys just yet. I grew up about as far away from the Hip-hop genre as you can get – out in rural Kansas with milo fields, combines, tumbleweeds, and Mennonite churches. The mean streets of Brooklyn, it was not. Jay-Z is an amazing storyteller. He begins by taking us back to his childhood in New York, where he was first introduced to rap as a kid. He began writing his rhymes in a notebook, and studying the dictionary – building his vocabulary for rap battles. He goes on to explain of many of his songs. I had no idea about all the work, double-meanings, and stories that go into this style of music. I enjoy a little Hip-hop every now and then, but now I have a greater understanding of the stories behind the music. Fascinating, I tell you!

On my nightstand for August ~ It’s All Good, by Gwyneth Paltrow

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend, by Rachel Bertsche

The Girl You Left Behind, by Jojo Moyes – The author is coming to do a signing in our town this month! Woohoo! I absolutely loved, (curled up in the fetal position and bawled my way through), her book Me Before You.

Someday, Someday, Maybe, by Lauren Graham – Yes, THAT Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls! I can’t wait to experience her as an author!

Screen time ~ We went to see the movie The Heat recently. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy made for a hilarious team! I also watched Freakonomics on Netflix during July. I found the short film on Sumo wrestlers very interesting! During August I also discovered that one of my favorite actresses (Chummy!) from Call the Midwife has her very own BBC show – Miranda! Hysterical, witty, charming – I can’t wait to watch more on Hulu!

Music ~ Am I the only one playing the new Civil Wars album on a constant loop? J’adore. I love their growth, their haunting melodies, the incredible harmonies…Such good stuff! I’m also loving my favorite movie scores that I recently put on my phone – Mask of Zorro, Chocolat, and Meet Joe Black are all serenading us at home and in the car!

In the blogging world~ My friend Emily shared a wonderful post about loving on teachers. She was so inspiring that I went right out that afternoon and took Camden’s 4th grade teacher a Route 44 Sonic drink! I hope to make this a regular event – we can’t love on them enough! Whether it’s your child’s teacher, a homeschooling mom (I guarantee you that she doesn’t have lots of people bringing her a cherry limeade!), a hardworking nurse, your pharmacist, a mailman (or lady), or your trash guys – I hope that we can all find a way to pay it forward. Love on someone this month!

Another dear friend wrote a beautiful post on exchanging our beauty standards for standards of grace. I printed them out for myself as a daily reminder to look at myself through the eyes of grace.

The chic gals at Trailer Trash Glam gave 20 awesome date ideas for under $20! Way to go! I can’t wait to try these out with my Beloved! Date night, here we come!

On my little blog this month ~ The most viewed post was Chapter Two of Our Story ~ A Letter to the Other Woman. I can’t wait to share Chapter Six of Our Story with y’all very soon! I also wrote about painting our living room black. I poured out my heart and shared about the time that I yelled at God – co-parenting and interacting with exes after the divorce.

A big thank you to everyone who stopped by this month, “liked,” or took a second to tell me that they enjoyed reading something here in my little corner of the world! What a great first month of blogging that this has been! I’m very excited about the coming month – more of Our Story, before and afters, and reviews! I hope that you’ll stay tuned! Have a great weekend!

For more “What I’m Into” goodness, please check out Leigh Kramer’s fabulous site – I’m off to check them out myself!

• AHHH! My favorite lip color is BB’s Red Dahlia too! LOVE it!

• Oh my, so many good things here. Pocketing it for a better read later!

Thank you so much for stopping by – and thank you for your lovely comment! I hope that you’ll come back πŸ™‚ I enjoyed your What I’m Into post. I need to check out the Man Woman Wild show!

• cara says:

Me Before You….WOWZAS is all I’ve got to say (so I’ll have to check out the other one you write about).

Totally, right?! I started the new book yesterday – very good so far! Had me hooked from the first page! I’d love to know what you think of it!

• The Civil Wars – yes please! I saw them in concert almost four years ago at a little hole-in-the-wall bar in Portland, Oregon before anyone knew who they were, and absolutely fell in love. Such incredibly musicality!

So lucky! I wish that I could have seen them live – we can hope for a reunion! But how great that you saw them before they were very well known. What a treat! Thank you so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• AlissaBC says:

I’m reading Bird by Bird right now! I’m only a few chapters in, because there’s just so much goodness to soak in. Not one to rush for sure.

Isn’t it awesome?! I want to order it and reread again and again! You’re right – not a book to rush through – and I think I’ll highlight the whole darn thing! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• karen says:

I’m a few chapters into Bird by Bird myself and LOVE it. Inspiring and funny and encouraging without coddling. Writing gold. And I totally forgot to include the new Civil Wars album in my music for this month. Thanks for the reminder… lovely.

• Sarah says:

I really liked Major Pettigrew! That Jay-Z book sounds really interesting. If you’re digging memoirs lately, I would recommend Born Standing Up by Steve Martin. It’s all about his early days becoming a comedian. And I’ve been looking for some new music to listen to — sounds like I need to check out The Civil Wars! (I’ve been hearing about the album everywhere, just been too busy with a new baby to listen to it yet.)

Oooh! I really want to read Steve Martin’s book. Thank you for suggesting it! I’ll add that to my Goodreads list pronto! πŸ™‚ He’s a fabulous comedian and I’d love to read about his early days! And pretty please check out The Civil Wars! You might love them πŸ™‚ My husband isn’t their biggest fan, so it is possible to not care for that style of music – but I love it!
      Thank you so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• That cowboy hat is darling on you. And your reading list looks awesome (I love that they came from the library…love that so much)…I want to get my hands on the Jewish parenting book so bad and I have Bird by Bird but need to read it. Like NEED to read it. Lastly, I’m so intrigued by Decoded. I love biographies and as an aside we’re moving to NYC (likely Brooklyn) in a few months and I’ve found myself obsessed with every aspect of the city’s culture from Harlem to Museum Row to the paradoxically hard and happy phenomenon of gentrification.

Brooklyn?! That’s awesome! I visited NYC once and wished that I could have explored Brooklyn and all the other haunts much more. Maybe someday! πŸ™‚ Please do check out the books – I loved them, and I hope that you enjoy them too! Thank you so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• Leigh Kramer says:

Love the hat pictures! Major Pettigrew is such a lovely book, all the more impressive since it was the author’s first. Glad you’re enjoying Bird by Bird. I reread the last page whenever I need a writing pick-me-up. I’m new to Jojo Moyes since reading Me Before You and I didn’t realize she had a new book out. I’ll have to track it down! The Civil Wars’ newest album is fantastic and not nearly long enough. I hope they’ll be able to work out their differences and reunite! They put on the most magical shows.

I can’t wait to see what Pettigrew’s author comes up with next! Must order Bird by Bird – so I can reread that last page that you mentioned! I didn’t have the pleasure of seeing The Civil Wars in concert, but I sure hope that I can in the future. A fan can only hope! πŸ™‚

A great first month.

• Great post! Such a cute cowboy hat pic. Enjoyed your reading selections. I just read Someday, Someday Maybe and LOVED it!! (Made me remember my NYC acting days). Will have to check out the Burt’s Bees, the always look so tempting when I see them on the drugstore shelf. I too am LOVING the new Civil Wars album – its on total repeat for me.

Oooh! Now I really want to hurry up and get to Someday, Someday, Maybe! I’m almost finished with The Girl You Left Behind, so maybe I’ll read it next. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• Leelee says:

I love your new cowgirl hat.

• Toni says:

I love Chummy best too! Miranda is such a goofy show; it makes me laugh, hard. πŸ™‚